Hatcheries??????

Dilly

Cooped Up
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Hi.......

Does anyone know of hatcheries in Northern California. ANd is it safe to ship baby chicks? I thought they had to have their temps regulated up till six plus weeks. How does that work?

ALso, if I want say half a dozen what is the rate of survival on ordering chicks. Should I doube my order to be safe?

Quote:
The chicks are shipped as day olds. During the first 24 hours of life, the chicks need no foor or water since they have re-absorbed the yolk and that provides them nourishment.

Now chickens exposed to extreme cold during shipping can die. But it's really amazing how well it works out with easily 95%+ of chicks making it through the mail.

So, no need to double. The worst I've eve had was 10% die within the first 24 hours, including those in shipping. But that was early in the season and there was strange weather.

You are very correct in wanting to find hatcheries nearest you for shipping. In the long run, this is better for yoru birds. But, realistically, the midwest is chicken central and you may need to get chicks shipped from there.

Where in California are you located? What types of chicks are you looking for? If you're close to the Bay Area or Sacramento, there are many feed stores that sell day-olds. There are a few local breeders near Santa Rosa as well.

Towards Grass valley. I want to find the closest and best place to get them without stress and chance of loosing some.

Thanks all.

I have a feeling there may be places you can get chicks there, if you do want to go the feed store route. I've gotten chicks at small town feed stores, and ag supply places, in nearby towns.

As for hatcheries, when I order chicks the hatchery isn't local. But some want you to make a 25 chick minimum order, for their health. I understand that there are places which will ship fewer chicks, but it's more expensive.

Would someone else that you know like chicks? Perhaps someone would like to split an order with you? If the chicks are of totally different breeds, the chicks can be told apart. Or, conversely, if they are the same breeds, you can divide them pretty easily. Or.......you can get more chicks!
big_smile.png

Good luck, I hope you find a place you like, and get wonderful babies!
smile.png

Hi, I know that the feed stores will be getting some chicks in, I am specific in what I want though.
wink.png

I also think that it may be safer and healthier for me to order direct than deal with what people bring in while handling the chick chicks in the stores. Know what I mean?

Drama. Where in N. Ca. are you Tutter?

Back
Top Bottom