Hatcheries

ok its been five days since my chicks arrived from cackle hatchery. I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM THEM AGAIN. i have lost almost half of the 50 cornish cross chicks and 6 or7 of the layers and 1 of my easter egger roos. i am very disappointed up until now ive only lost about 5 or 6 chicks out of the hundreds ive bought or hatched in the last 5 years. and yes im very experienced at brooding chicks i just think the stress of shipping got to them or they are a weak bloodline. i may go with mcmurray next time or find a hatchery close enough and just drive up and pick them up myself.
We had an awesome experience with Cackle last year and our first order this year was great also. The chicks we got last week have been nothing but work to keep alive. We ordered the Surprise, received 47 chicks, 2 ducklings. We've lost 8 or 9 chicks, there are a few that were extremely weak but have finally perked up. We know what we're doing when it come to brooding, its not on our end. It was either way to cold when they shipped out or something happened with the box on the way, though it looked in good shaped. There was tape over the holes on top that had fluff stuck to it, on the inside, makes me wonder if the box was turned over or if they were bounced up into the tape or simply crawled over each other.

They were helpful enough when I notified them of what was going on but being a surprise, they guarantee around 40 live birds, with losses we are right at that. I would say to go ahead and contact them, even though its past the 24 hrs. We will give them another shot since our first 2 orders did so well. Also had losses with our first Ideal order this year, but again, cold weather, we didn't order enough chicks, what we ordered were bantams...out of the packing peanuts they sent we only lost 1 out of 7 but lost 6/10 of the mixed bantams, it was just to cold. They credited us back the money for the losses and our order from them a week later was great, no losses. We've also ordered from Privett once, no losses and our local TSC uses them, no losses from chicks we've bought from there either.

Do chicks from MPC come from MPC or are they a middle man and drop ship from hatcheries?

Back
Top Bottom