hatchery birds vs. show quality birds

Just get a 25 pullet mixed bag from the one that's located close to you and learn what it's all about!!! What I thought was my favorite ended up not being after I owned them in real life and had them for a while.

Then eventually down the line you can decide which ones are your favorites and which ones you want to breed. THEN spend the money to get better quality.
smile.png

Last edited:
We've never ordered chicks from Murray, but we have gotten day old goslings, ducklings and guinea keets from them and we were very satisfied! We've got the "weeder geese", flying mallards, and the guinea assortment and when we got the guineas they promised at least 3 different breeds and we got 6 different types! I'd go for the brown egg layer assortment they have, it'll give you a nice variety of birds! And with you living right there close to the hatchery you could probably pick up a few Easter Eggers and BCM's or whatever else you were wanting without having to order the 25 chick min order for shipping

Last edited:
When I first statred, I didn't know much about the diffeent breeds. So, I ordered 1 rooster of about everything.
Watching 25 or so different roosters grow, develop, feather and final size and color was exiciting. Well worth the cost and time if really interested. And yes, I ordered them from McMurry. Great fun and experience.

If McMurray is only 20 minutes away I would go with them. You can't beat picking up your own chicks! They should be healthy and you can get a variety. And IF you had problems it would be easy to go back. Then as you progress with your first chicks you can explore other options. I have heard good things about many hatcheries, but you just can't beat being able to pick them up and avoiding the whole post office thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom