hatchery chick without eyes

just becouse it is blind it could still have a full live I have a rabbit that was born blind and u could never really tell until she walks she just walk with her head higher then the rest of them do so Give it a chance to live its life out

Did you contact MMH and get credit for this chick? Even if you continue to keep it they should credit your account for all the extra grief & trouble they sent your way. Perhaps the sexers don't have time to check both ends of each chick, but the packers should be taking those extra moments to be sure they're not sending out deformed or visably ill chicks. There's no excuse for not noticing a chick with no eyes! Unless the packer also had no eyes and didn't realize anything was wrong...

Quote:
Exactly...I agree completely. How can you pack a chick and not notice that? It takes a few extra seconds to look the chick over for noticeable problems like no eyes, bent beak etc etc. Sad that the world is always in such a hurry isn't it?

Quote:
Exactly...I agree completely. How can you pack a chick and not notice that? It takes a few extra seconds to look the chick over for noticeable problems like no eyes, bent beak etc etc. Sad that the world is always in such a hurry isn't it?

I understand both of your points, but do you realize how many chicks they deal with at shipping time. Just watch the show about Ideal. There is no way they can inspect every chick for shipping. I do agree that they should reimburse for the chick that was sent.

Quote:
I understand both of your points, but do you realize how many chicks they deal with at shipping time. Just watch the show about Ideal. There is no way they can inspect every chick for shipping. I do agree that they should reimburse for the chick that was sent.

Oh I understand they deal with 1000's of chicks but I would think there should be some sort of common sense used for the 'obvious' deformaties/abnormalities....I mean no eyes or a crooked beak? I did watch the show...but it still seems a little careless and lazy on the part of the packers to me when an extra second per chick to examine it for such obvious abnormalities will not slow the process down that much. How hard is it to pick up a chick and look at it as you are transferring it to a shipping box? I would not expect them to check each one for a cold.

But I am a stickler for details and such when it comes to dealing with customers/clients.

The thoughts here run from one end of the spectrum to the other and that is as it should be.
I would personally cull the chick. The longer you keep it the harder it will be.
All my animals including my chickens are pets of a sort. Meaning I care for them probably above and beyond. I think any animal we have caged should be given the best care and consideration available. But I also believe that nature takes care of the weak by culling.
Unless you have the time to make this chick a "special needs" pet, it should be culled. Can you give this chick the time for a "quality life"

Did you check it's eyes good to make sure there not just stuck shut. I believe it was stormhorse that recieved a chick from mmh and thought it only had one eye and later found out it was stuck shut. Just thinking out loud:)

I don't have an experience with this exact situation.. That said I have a Japanese that has some sort of neurological problem and stumbles alot and falls down. She just can't seem to keep here balance. She will fall face first in everything and sometimes need help righting herself. She is housed with 2 silkies and a brahma and they do fine. The others are very tolerable even when she falls all over the treats. I do have to keep an eye on her and in the evenings put her in the coop but otherwise she stumbles around the yard during the day and has done very well. She is my husbands fav and he looks out for her (go figure). It is possible, I think to keep your baby with the rest, especially from they start. They may very well accept her as she is and she will adapt.

Good luck with her

Stacy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom