Hatchery chicks under a broody hen? Will it work?

mikeksfarmer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Bonner springs KS
I want to order some chicks this spring, to replace losses. I really dont want a box of chicks in my house again. If I have a broody hen and let her set for 2+ weeks can I sneek some day old hatchery chicks under and be successful?

I like this idea... lol. Glad you posted a question about it, I wouldnt have thought about it. Or rather, i would have thought that the hen would peck the new chicks....

I think it would definately work. At night is best, as soon as she hears the cheeping chicks, she'll probably perk up and make those mama-hen noises. Tuck a few under her and grab a few fake eggs, then tuck the rest under her, getting the rest of the eggs. How many chicks do you plan to give her?

What kind of chicken is your broody? I have Silkies and they're really laid back - they'll adopt anything.

Be certain that it is late at night and very very dark before you put the chicks under her. I have done this before too early in the evening when the hen was not truly good and asleep. It was desasterous! She pecked the babies to death in a matter of minutes. I was devestated! I have had luck however by using the late night method and being very gentle when adding the babies so as not to rouse the hen any more than possible.
fl.gif
Good Luck!

Quote:
It can be done if broody just hatched at least a few of her chicks, otherwise I did not try it, I doubt it.

If you try it watch it closely for rejection and immediately take them off the hen, she may injure them or kill them.

yes we do it all the time here,my grandma would even give baby ducks and baby turkeys to an old setten hen,thats a funny sight

Last edited:
We successfully did it, and with a hen who hadn't been sitting for long and had just been moved to a friend's house (he hatched his own, but then didn't have a suitable brooder, lol, so freaked and asked to borrow one of our girls). We did it at night too. As the other's say, either you'll have a happy mama or no chicks by morning!
Cheers,
Lily

Back
Top Bottom