Hatchery location

nhorrin

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 12, 2011
I am looking to get some Chantecler chicks. I am interested in this breed because they are extremely cold hardy. I see that Ideal Poultry has them and was wondering if the fact that they are located in Texas where it is warm will affect the cold hardiness of the birds. Thanks.

It won't. They are a particular breed and whether or not the parent birds have to endure heat rather than cold won't affect the offspring's ability to endure cold. The breeding of the stock matters...is it true to type? (Etc.)

What would be good to know though is whether Ideal's stock in this breed is liked by the BYC members for that attribute. For that I would recommend looking at the thread on the breed:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/243277/chantecler-thread

note this is a very long thread and still active

You might even consider changing your thread title to "Are Ideal's Chanteclers cold hardy and true to type?" or something like that, and posting it in the Breeds, Genetics, and showing section. You can ask the moderator to move the thread so you don't cross post by clicking the report button on one of the messages in the thread and putting your request in the box you fill out.

(Or you can just ask the question in the thread above on Chanteclers.) And your original question because I have been around BYC long enough to know that just when I think I know the answer to something, I don't! So you might put up your original question too LOL.

Last edited:
Chickens Are Sweet:

Thanks for the information. That was my thought, but I have no experience in this area. Thanks again! I'll take your advice and post that question.

Back
Top Bottom