I have three olive eggers and one rooster. Well two olive egger roosters but one is about to become dinner within the next few days.

The three hens lay green eggs. Different shade, but all green. I plan on keeping them in a run soon since my white leghorn mounts them.

I didn’t know they were so expensive. I got mine from TSC for regular price then I looked em up on Cackle Hatchery because I wanted more next spring and was like whoa $6 a piece! So I’m gonna hatch my own.

Sorry to hear they don’t lay the right color.

Hate to say, Olive Eggers ARE Easter Eggers. They are a cross who's intended to lay a specific color of egg... they're just named for the color of the egg. Because their a cross, like EE, there is a certain percentage of chicks that won't lay true olive colors. The further you get from the original cross, the more that percentage goes up.

Right now we're in the age of designer 'breeds', from designer breed dogs (like the puggle and chweenie and labradoodle) to designer chicken breeds (like sapphire olive egger, prairie blue bell egger, etc). They're all just crosses and not true breeds.

i just want to warm everyone that the sapphire olive eggers sold by Hoover’s hatchery are not true olive eggers. I paid nearly $8 a bird and only one out of three lays olive eggs. One lays brown and one lays blue. They’re really just easter eggers with a fancy name.
Hatcheries trying to be sneaky.. The only way to ensure "True" Olive Eggers is the cross of Pure Ameraucana/Araucana with Dark eggers, 100% guarantee Olive eggs, but Hatcheries dont have a clue on how many of the genes work so they probably said, hey I will cross my EEs with Dark egger and hope for the best

So will hatching eggs from an Olive Egger hen and an Olive Egger rooster continue to produce Olive eggs? My three Olive Eggers lay green eggs. Different shades. If I allow them to mate, and incubate some eggs, will it be a 50-50 if they’ll even be green? I don’t care for color, I’m just shocked at how “expensive” OE are.

So will hatching eggs from an Olive Egger hen and an Olive Egger rooster continue to produce Olive eggs? My three Olive Eggers lay green eggs. Different shades. If I allow them to mate, and incubate some eggs, will it be a 50-50 if they’ll even be green? I don’t care for color, I’m just shocked at how “expensive” OE are.
Do you know the parents of your OE? Are they single or Pea combed?

Here’s a pic of the rooster and another of one of the OE hens. Not sure what pea or strait combs look like. Gotta do some research lol

Attachments

• 0FDC2571-BD22-40F2-B552-508865438024.png
    0FDC2571-BD22-40F2-B552-508865438024.png
    4 MB · Views: 56
  • 474C944E-859A-4864-B0BC-5B4D7A09B751.jpeg
    474C944E-859A-4864-B0BC-5B4D7A09B751.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56

Back
Top Bottom