Hatchery vs. Local Feed Store

That is exactly the problem. Feed stores mostly carry the common breeds, not heritage breeds. The ones they carry lay like crazy for 2 years and are then dinner. I prefer the longer lived heritage breeds that might not be a laying machine but they still produce 4-5 eggs a week!

That is exactly the problem. Feed stores mostly carry the common breeds, not heritage breeds. The ones they carry lay like crazy for 2 years and are then dinner. I prefer the longer lived heritage breeds that might not be a laying machine but they still produce 4-5 eggs a week!

For 5 years or longer.

my feed store orders from the same hatchery I would. they charge the same price the hatchery would. the only difference is they get wholesale price and a small kickback for the sale. They will order whatever the hatchery has for you as long as you pick it up as soon as they come in. if you like your feed store, let them have the kickback.... it also helps because if some of the chicks is sick or dead, they will handle calling the hatchery for you. I have also ordered from metzer farms in California, the ducks and goslings were two days late in the mail after being shipped to texas, they were alive well and happy. I recommend getting the gel food in case of emergencies like that.

hope this helps in decision making.

I am VERY new to all of this. We are getting our babies next month. What are a few ' common breeds" and a few ' heritage' breeds ? What is a good book to read on breeds ?

clankeyes not sure about a book but you can click the breeds tab at the top of the page its got a long list with pics and good info about each breed too.

clankeyes not sure about a book but you can click the breeds tab at the top of the page its got a long list with pics and good info about each breed too.
Yes I have read the list... LOL.. I guess you can say im like a sponge right now. I am trying to read as much as I can before the babies arrive. I also want to make a good investment. Although i am sure you can say anything can be a bit of a gamble LOL

I like the feed store I got 2 easter eggers last year and 2 more last week all girls and I also order from crackle last aug order silkies I had to get 10 because of shipping and 8 where roosters I still have 2 rooster left and the girl I keep is just started brooding

The local feed store simply make a bulk order from a hatchery -- might even be the same hatchery you're ordering from. It might be that the feed store gets order shipped directly from the hatchery or to the feed store's central location and THEN to the feed store. Only benefit that I see in getting from the feed store is that you can let the feed store feed them for a few days and if some die, that's the feed store's problem rather than your problem.

Back
Top Bottom