Hatchery vs. Local Feed Store

I totally agree. At least my feed store stands behind what they sell. I know they order them from breeders, but I like to see my chicks and choose the ones I want. Also they guarantee a 99% pullet rate if you so choose to have all hens. I ended up with 1 roo for 15 chicks. Not bad. I wanted a roo so that worked for me. He's a EE and is gorgeous... They also would have taken him back & gave me a pullet if I wanted. I have had such good luck with my feed store I could not be happier. I'm new to this and having 15 happy & healthy birds are all I could ask for.

This is an interesting thread because we just got home from TSC and they did have chicks in. I have purchased from hatcheries, never opened a box to a dead bird.
TSC had RIR's. light Brahmas, a red sex link, Wyandotts, and Cornish X's. They were all sold out of ducklings, thankfully because my husband decided he wanted some and you only had to get two vs. 6 chicks.
Last year I ordered from a hatchery and I have a small order in this year for a few more breeds I really want to try.
TSC did say they got some of the rarer breeds in with each shipment (They were hatchery birds too) but they didn't know ahead of time what was coming.
One advantage of the hatchery is that you have a better choice of breeds available while the feed store would save on your shipping. So it seemed to me it was a case of what you preferred.
One thing I did appreciate after hearing stories and reading posts here, the TSC had a high fence around the peeps (You could barely see them) and you had to tell the clerk what you wanted and she went in and packed them for you.
This prevented everyone from handling them, perhaps putting them back in the wrong tubs and who knows exposure to what germs.

Feedstore gets them Friday. They probably won't have the variety I want though
hu.gif

I bought my chicks from TSC. Our local store carries the breeds that will do well in our area. I am in SC. So the summer heat is our biggest challenge. This winter we had snow, ice, and sleet. So I had to take care of that unexpected situation. We did fine. My hens (now 1 yr old) are health, happy and well adjusted. I kept my babies in my extra bath tub for the first several weeks I had them. I was able to control their environment easily. I used a waterer designed for baby chicks. They did well. Also, their feeder was designed for baby chicks. When it got warm enough, we moved them to the enclosed back porch and eventually to the yard. They were about 8 to 10 weeks old, the weather had gotten warm (spring had arrived). I prefer getting my chicks from the local store so I get to see them, pick out the ones I want. Not all store get their birds on Friday. Here at the TSC, they get shipments, several times a week. Hope this helps you decide what is best for you. Enjoy your chick family. They are so much enjoyment.

Here's a story about the day I picked my girls out. I have red sex links. Love them. I was selecting my girls, the clerk had put 3 in my box and was trying to catch a 4th one. I noticed there was one smaller than the others. ( I picked her up and it was love at first sight.) So Henny became #4. She is still the smallest of the 4, but she is really smart and holds her own with the larger ones.

I have only bought from the local feed store, with great success. I had one chick (out of 40) over a 3 year period die within 24 hours and they replaced her.

Why I like my local store for chicks is that the chicks are healthy and have had water and food for a day or so before I but them (if I can wait). My feed store posts their orders for their selling calender which is from the end of Feb till about July. I can plan ahead and control myself a bit while I wait for a breed I am most interested in.

I also like supporting my local feed store, my husband would laugh at that as he thinks we well support them without a chick purchase:)

I went to my local store and hand picked my chicks. It was easy. The are either curious of your hand, or they run and I chose the curious ones. I have happy friendly healthy chicks that are so much fun!

The local store I chose was the most knowledgeable and were more than happy to talk chicks with me. They can special order about any breed I want. All the chicks are separated by breed with the exception of the assorted brown egg layers. I took 3 of them because I love mystery. I also took one RIR because they are beautiful.
tongue.png

I don't know what hatchery/breeder they get them from but when I go back to get my 2 EE's I will ask.

I am very much enjoying my chicken adventure!
love.gif

All I can say about my experience is that I did my homework - Googled what I could, found Back Yard Chickens, lurked a while and made my decision.

It definitely has to be your own decision. I'm sure this won't be my only time buying chickens now.. I'm hooked!

I buy my chicks from breeders. Hatchery and feed store are the same. They both come from hatcheries. I've found breeder chicks to be true to the breed standards. You might consider a breeder.breeders ship as well. My last chicks came all the way from the east cost and I live in ca.they were healthy and happy. So do consider breeders. There are many online to choose from.

I have an order placed to Meyer Hatchery that is set to arrive the first week of June. The hatchery is about 530 mile north of where I live. However, there is a feed store near my house (Orschelns Farm and Home). I don't remember what breeds they have carried in the past. Should I cancel my hatchery order and buy from the feedstore, or stick with the hatchery? The Orschelns is in Murrya, KY if that helps. Any idea what breeds they might carry?

on the orschelns website it has the list of chicks they get. i dont see what hatchery they get them from. im sure they just get them from the closest hatchery , thats what i have herd in the past.
they have.

Cockoo Maran, Cornish Cross, Brown leghorn, Ameraucana,Bantam (just says bantam?), Barred Plymoth Rock, New Hampshire Red, White Plymoth Rock, Black Australorp, Buff Orphington, Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Black Jersey Giant, Salmon Favorolle!, Speckled Sussex, Wellsummers, and Polish Crested. Also they have an order form and you can order other breeds during peek season.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/92432/f...sionGuid=ee517f5f-b8a8-4937-9b77-fa424083a75e

I prefer purchasing from our local, family-owned feed store. They have an excellent supply of birds practically all year long. -even purchased a chick that had been newly hatched (on-site) to place under a broody hen. -have been very pleased with all chicks that we've picked from them!

Back
Top Bottom