Hatchery vs. Local Feed Store

Feed store gets them Friday. They probably won't have the variety I want though
hu.gif
I went to two feed stores in my area. The first one gave me a sheet of dates of when the different breeds would be available for adoption. I was told to get in line early for what I really wanted & there would be no special orders taken. I had two types of chickens I really wanted. Both were arriving 7 days apart at feed store #1 . I was not very excited about that being a first time chicken owner. I wanted my baby chicks the same age. I visited the second feed store. Without hesitation they took my order for the two breeds I want and said they would have them ready on the same day for pickup. I did not have to pre-pay or anything. They just took my name and number. I was even asked if I was interested in any other breeds. I told them since I was only getting 4-5 chickens that what ever they had available I would be happy with. Sort of like Christmas morning :) Not only are they getting the my business for my chicks but I will be buying all my start up supplies from them as well. Shop around and ask your local feed stores.. see what they say. I was to nervous to order long distance. My shopping paid off. Good Luck .

I am now on my second year of getting chicks from Meyer Hatchery. Two times I have picked them up and one time had them shipped.

You do get alot more in choices of birds than any of the stores carry. The stores are getting chicks from hatcheries anyhow.

Yes losses can happen during shipping but Meyer gives you 48 hours to report and be refunded any losses. Even the stores have losses while chicks are being shipped to them.

Sexing errors happen! With Meyer I know you will be refunded at least the difference of cost.

The store I have been tempted to purchase from but haven't because I have not liked how the chicks seem to have been taken care of and my concern of how many people are handling them.

Definitely FEED STORE. First, they'll stand behind what they sell. Second, they're local and you can deal with them face to face. 3rd, I don't know about yours, but mine can order specific breeds if you want, but most of all you can personally deal with them. If you order chicks by mail, what do you do if the mortality rate is low? Please go with your local feed store.

Hatcheries stand behind their orders as well, those that I've dealt with have always had excellent customer service and have a policy of replacing losses due to shipping, they also compensate for any roosters that slip through when you order sexed pullets. I've had great success with my ordered chicks.

Edited to add: Any reputable hatchery will have their policy for shipping loss and compensation for accidental roosters well spelled out on their web site. It not or if it's vague, shop elsewhere.

Last edited:
I'm glad so many have had good luck with hatcheries, but I would rather support my local business. And most of all, I don't want to open a box & find dead chicks. To each its own.

I have used both hatchery and local feed stores.

From my own experiences, I will stick with ordering from a hatchery. I have had more losses from my feed store chicks than my hatchery chicks. This can be due to many reasons. Mine (this year anyway) was most likely stress from shipping to the feed store, and then additional travel shortly after to home/farm. It could also be that the feed store chicks are sourced from a different hatchery than I normally order from. Minimum order from the hatchery I use is 25 to 15 depending on the time of year, feed store was 6. My feed store also does not have any loss guarantees, which is something I get when ordering from the hatchery directly.

Some people may have complete opposite results! Go with what your gut tells you to do.
smile.png

I'm glad so many have had good luck with hatcheries, but I would rather support my local business. And most of all, I don't want to open a box & find dead chicks. To each its own.

For me Meyer is local and a feed store may be local to you but is the supplier of the chicks local if they come from a hatchery anyway?

I got my chicks from my local feed store last year. The chicks come from a hatchery, which isn't local. They had the breed I wanted, but the reasons why I chose to buy from the feed store were that the chicks would be already eating and drinking; I could examine and choose the chicks I wanted and I wouldn't risk finding dead chicks at the post office.
The feed store had an order sheet where I could specify the breed and if I wanted straight run or pullets only, so I was able to reserve my chicks in advance.
To make it easier for the walk- in buyers, they had the chicks separated by breed and sex. They also had the straight run separated from the rest. My experience was very good. I hand picked my chicks and to this day they are very healthy. The only thing that I have to say about hatchery birds, be them from the feed store or ordered by mail is the difference in the overall temperament of the birds when compared from birds bought from a breeder. My BO are docile, but far from being the teddy bears I saw from birds that came from breeders. And, of course, the birds from the breeder were just gorgeous!!
Next time, I'm ordering from a breeder just because I want birds that are truer to body type and hopefully temperament. In terms of health and egg production, I am very happy with my feed store birds.

Feed stores receive most of their chicks from hatcheries anyway. They are just handling the losses and getting the refunds in lieu of you. They may get more discounted prices since they order in such bulk, however they may mark up the price of the chick where neither option is cheaper. If, however, you prefer a small order of chicks, just 3-10 then the feedstore is cheaper, as you don't have to pay small order charges.

I'd call the feed store because even if they do not normally carry a breed, they may special order it in certain amounts. If the extra's sell fast, they may include them in their lineup. Most feedstores carry a PR, PB, Cornish X, leghorns, and a couple EE's, bantams or something else for looks/uniqueness.

I'd go with the hatchery overall, for selection and price. But if I was doing small orders? Feed store.

Back
Top Bottom