Hatchery vs. Local Feed Store

I like supporting locally owned business, even though I might not have the opportunity to get exactly what I'm wanting in the way of chicks. All my chickens were from two local feed stores. And I am fortunate enough to live an hour and a half away from Metzer's, so I was able to go down there today and pick up my ducklings. They were, however, pre-selected for me, so that feed-store experience definitely was missing.

Look at the pros and cons. Being a first time chicken mom, I started out wanting a variety of breeds but only wanted a small flock of maybe 6 or 7 hens. If you order from a hatchery, you can get a variety but a minimum of 15. We opted to get our chicks from Tractor Supply, however in Virginia there is a law that you must buy 6 chicks minimum. We came home with 6 red stars. The following week they had amberlinks, so........we ended up with 12 babies. At 5 months they were all laying. We got them the first week of March. Have fun.

I totally agree always buy your chickens from a local store that way you can see what you're getting
D.gif

I have an order placed to Meyer Hatchery that is set to arrive the first week of June. The hatchery is about 530 mile north of where I live. However, there is a feed store near my house (Orschelns Farm and Home). I don't remember what breeds they have carried in the past. Should I cancel my hatchery order and buy from the feedstore, or stick with the hatchery? The Orschelns is in Murrya, KY if that helps. Any idea what breeds they might carry?
I ordered from Meyer earlier this year and had no cassualties with shipping. We ordered several different breeds, and our order totaled 27. They are a little over three weeks old and holding strong. It is a personal opinion on what you want to do, but I live a lot farther from Meyer then you do (951 miles). You won't get a huge variety of breeds with the local feedstore, but if you don't care what breeds you get, then that's what I would do. I am personally addicted to chicks and support both choices.
hu.gif

Just buy shaving that have bigger size shavings. At my feed store they have two kinds. finer and bigger size. Mine don't eat the shavings.

Here's my opinion. There might be a few hurt/dead chicks if you order from a hatchery, but they will most likely replace them for you. The good thing about a hatchery is that you will know what you are getting. As for the feed store, you can choose your preference of chicks and they probably won't die, but unless you're a breed expert, you probably won't know what you're getting. I guess it's a preference issue
hmm.png
. Happy chick raising either way though
wink.png

Last edited:
My local feed store let me put in a special order . The two I wanted at the same time are Maran and Americana.. She said both are popular so she had no problem ordering them for me. ALSO I did not have to have a minimum order. Just ask you local feed store if they are willing to work with you. Mine did :) . For those of you in the Whatcom County are of WA State : http://www.elenbaasco.com/index.html

Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, because it's not my intention to start a controversy.

I tend to stay away from hatcheries because of the inhumane way they treat newly hatched male chicks. I made the mistake of viewing a video about chicken reproduction and it was really about how the hatcheries 'dispose' of males. I can't tell you how sick it made me. So, I will hatch my own or go to breeders to get my birds. When I get cockerels I will put an ad in Craigslist or the local farm/chicken groups online and I'll get someone who is interested in taking him. I haven't gotten to the point where I can harvest them (when older) myself.
ep.gif
I feel that at least I would have given them a good life with good food, fresh air and grass to run around in before they are dispatched to my frig!

Back
Top Bottom