Hatchery vs. Local Feed Store

Depends on what type of chicken it is. There are some types where the male and the female have a distinct difference as chicks , like the black sex-link male has a white spot on its head-the female does not. I have had some luck sexing day-old chicks by looking at their wings. You can only do this to one or two day old chicks. The wing feathers on the pullets are longer than on a cockerel of the same age. Last year, I picked 13 chicks as pullets...only 2 came up as roosters! There are several videos on you tube that show this method. Good Luck!

That's so interesting. We are about 450 miles from Meyer and I've had 3 bad experiences. I'll not order there again as it was a depressing way to start our flock losing so many.
I am also considering an order from Meyer, but I plan on picking the birds up at the hatchery since I have to be in the area anyway to pick up my son from college...and I hate paying shipping!
idunno.gif
Do you think your bad experiences are from the quality of the birds themselves or the shipping ordeal?

All the different opinions on here will make your head spin!! First of all I have raised hundreds of chicks on pine shavings and never had a chick die, if they are dying then its something else perhaps you used cedar shaving which will choke them out, secondly there are horror stories and praises about every hatchery out there, so as far as that goes, hatchery or feed store doesn't make a difference.
My advice to you is buy your chicks from a breeder, you will be much happier in the long run, hatchery's are the puppy mills of the chicken world.

I think whether you buy from the hathery or feed store depends alot on the feed store. Some only carry a couple of breeds in small numbers. Ours carries over a dozen breeds with 30+ chicks to choose from each. The sickly ones have already been weeded out so you can choose the most vigorous looking. However if you have your heart set on a particular breed, you may need to order your own.

Our feed store allows you to add your requested breeds onto their weekly scheduled order which may give you a break on the shipping. It doesn't hurt to ask (presuming the hatchery they order from has your breed).

If you're lucky enough to have multiple feed stores within driving distance, call around to check which hatcheries they order from. I've found most are more than happy to tell you and let you know which week they are scheduled to get a particular breed.

I have to say that if you can afford it, do both. I have ordered from Murray Mcmurray in the past and only once did the entire shipment of chics die. In the past a few have died during transit but never all. They were good about sending a free order without questions. I highly recommend Murray Mcmurray's. On the other hand I have also bought chics from the local feed store and they have the best temperament of all my chickens. I probably have over 60 chickens (mostly Bantams).

I think you have the potential for getting healthier chicks if you buy from a local hatchery/breeder. But you also have more risk of problems. I'm almost positive that my Marek's problems came with the pullets I purchased locally, from what seemed to be a reputable breeder. Now I am forced to buy from Murray McMurray as they offer the best Marek's vaccine. I am happy with the MM chicks I got. After 4 months, I have one sick pullet out of the 9 I ordered. Pretty good given that I lost 7 of 9 from the local hatchery.

Bottom line, there is no 'right or wrong' answer. Both options have pros and cons.

I've had success buying chicks from Tractor Supply and Atwoods (our local feed stores). I raised the chicks in a No. 2 washtub with a lamp on one side. Chick waterer and food. Pine wood chips...never had one die from eating wood chips. I can even sleep 10 hours on the weekend and they are just fine when I get up and check them. I give them attention off and on throughout the day while working at home. My most recent group of 10 have all survived to laying age! I am very pleased with the Gold Sex Links from Atwoods! All female as advertised. Began to lay eggs at 5 months old. Good natured, very social.

I've never ordered from a hatchery before...I don't like the idea of shipping chicks in a box through the mail. Just seems so very stressful! And they are so fragile at that age! But that's my opinion.

Now, I've got a question to add. To or not to...buy egg cartons from hatchery vs. local feed store? Need to be blank/no label. Paper is preferred but styrofoam is fine. Atwoods charges $0.30+tax for plastic see-through cartons. (You are welcome to PM me your comments if my question is taking this thread on a tangent.)

Back
Top Bottom