Hatchery vs. Local Feed Store

I recommend looking at the next 2 breed comparison charts:
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html
First select all the breeds that can handle your climate. Then from that list, narrow it down by your needs, wants and personality. Think about whether they'll be foraging all day or need to be adaptable to confinement. Think about the number, size and color of eggs you want. Size of the bird, large fowl or bantam. Feather color, aggressiveness, docility, calmness, flightiness are other characteristics to match to your personality. Both charts will have that info.

For books:
Gail Damerow's 'Chicken Health Handbook' is a must for any chicken keeper's library.
Not sure that's such a good idea for a person new to chickens. I'm convinced my chickens have tuberculosis. Hubby says I'm nuts.
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is a good one, as is Ussary's book mentioned above.

The secret to getting exactly what you want is often to order it from a hatchery online months in advance (unless you personally know a breeder who will hook you up). I ordered my silver laced Wyandottes two months before their shipping date. About two weeks later, they were sold out for the entire season.
I have that problem because I never think about ordering until after New Years. A local co-op has silver laced Wyandottes available now. Irony.

Our local co-op orders from a farm near Nashville, not a major hatchery. There are limits on what you can get, but you can pre-order from what they have available. You have to talk to the lady who does the ordering, because no one else has a clue. Since I was too late to place an order for all the different critters I want, I've got 3 Marans coming from a local breeder, more EEs from the co-op, some Cream Legbars from a local breeder in late summer and I'll be hatching my own BOs. Oh yeah, and 4 guineas coming from a different local breeder. All except the CL will be babies together. Now, however, I'm concerned about them sharing diseases since they come from different locations. Bummer. I guess we will see...

I've raised all my chicks on pine shavings and never lost one. I keep it anal clean though until they get the first shovel full of dirt to play in, around 2-3 weeks.

I have used Meyer and have great success with my chicks. All the chicks at the feed store will come from a hatchery also, unless they state locally raised. It is more of a personal call, but I've tried both ways and gotten the same results. At least with a chick order from Meyer you can personalize and get the chicks you want.

How old do they have to be to sex them?

You know, the sexing method illustrated above (looking at incoming wing feathers) MUST be done in the first couple days of life. The method loses its reliability as the chicks begin to feather out.

Last edited:
Our Feed Store told me that His Feed Suppliers Order the Chicks for Them. He said He told Them not to send Them until March 17 . I Ordered from Murray ,But I Think I'm going to Pick -up a breed I don't have . The Owner is a old Friend so I'm going to see "IF" He will try the wing thing to Sex Them.I really don't NEED anymore.My Son was suppose to take 1/2 of the order . But He called and said
barnie.gif
"Mom I'm henpecked
D.gif
the wifey said NO chickens"!
bun.gif
I had to Laugh; but really She has Her hands Full with 3 kids Tiffy= 6, TJ=7 and Tra =11, plus 1 dog ,1 cat and My Son .I told Her I'd take the Chicks anyday.
ya.gif

Not sure that's such a good idea for a person new to chickens. I'm convinced my chickens have tuberculosis. Hubby says I'm nuts.
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is a good one, as is Ussary's book mentioned above.

CH Handbook has excellent and concise information on housing, feeding, raising and management. Inevitably someone will have a sick bird and it's one of the best diagnostic guides available written for the non-veterinarian.

I've raised all my chicks on pine shavings and never lost one. I keep it anal clean though until they get the first shovel full of dirt to play in, around 2-3 weeks.

X2

You know, the sexing method illustrated above (looking at incoming wing feathers) MUST be done in the first couple days of life. The method loses its reliability as the chicks begin to feather out.
Excellent point.

dont use hay use pine shavings hay can make them sick if it has any mold on it and it molds very easy in the warm moist inviroment of a chick brooder

X2

We are first time chicken owner and we went to the feed store. Had no clue you could order online but we only wanted 3 chicks. The people didn't know much or what sex they were so here's hoping we have hens and not roosters! We decide this will just have to be our learning experience because we already decided we want MORE chickens! And we want lots colors.

I am new to having chickens too. I bought six pullets - 4 BO and 2 BR from Coastal Farms. I was very interested in Aracaunas, so I bought two of those from a different local feed store. I have since found on this site that the Aracaunas may actually just be EEs. I have decided that I am ok with that because I believe based on how they look now, that these two girls will be the most beautiful in my flock. Plus, I just love every one of them already. They are just as sweet as can be.

My 8 girls are almost 5 weeks old and every one of them seems strong and healthy. I know they are still very young but I have no complaints in regard to the two feed store that I bought my girls from. They have been out to the garden several nice days and they love it. The coop and run is almost done and they will get to go out to try it out tomorrow. Yeah!

Back
Top Bottom