hatching bantam eggs

courtshep

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
West Virginia
If a bantam egg has been fertilized by a big rooster, will the egg hatch, or will the chicken be too large to fit in the egg? This sounds unbelievably stupid, but I can't get it out of my mind.

gig.gif
How intriguing.Just a big baby I would have thought.

Quote:
It's not stupid at all, and yes, it could potentially cause problems, although not necessarily in every case. I think it would work a lot like setting pullet eggs--sometimes, the embryo needs more room to turn and cannot get out of the shell, but some pullet eggs still hatch okay. Overall, you might expect worse percentages, but how much worse depends on the size of the eggs and the incubating conditions (humidity would need to be perfect to help those big chicks turn in those small shells) among other things. But I wouldn't be surprised to have at least some of the eggs pip and die with that situation.

Good question! I would think the chick would not grow any bigger than the egg could handle. The yolk is only so big and would only feed a chick of bantam size. I know in horses that a small mare bred to a huge stallion will only produce what she is capable of carrying.
I had bantam cochin chicks who ended up with a pea comb and the only way that could happen is if my standard ameraucana roo had snuck into the bantam pen. What a surprise to me. So I have to go with, yes you can hatch bantam eggs that are fertilized by a standard roo.

edited because I can't spell worth a darn this morning.

Last edited:
it can be done! this pass spring one of my banty hens kept mating with my barred rock rooster and she went broody on 6 eggs and all 6 eggs hatch

Back
Top Bottom