Hatching bator flooring?

Quote:
Believe me, I know EXACTLY what you are saying. I told a friend of mine there should be a 12 step program for this, there is for every other addiction. I have been lucky so far. Every time I have set eggs in the bator, the next day a hen would go broody. So I haven't had to take care of the babies much. Just the feed, which so far isn't so bad. My dad has half as many chickens as I do, and he buys 3x's more feed per month! Granted, his are penned all the time, and mine are mostly free range. His are also the big meat/layer chickens, so that doesn't help any either on his part. I have 8 ducks that eat as much as my chickens, but half my chickens are under 2 months old! Hope I lose some of my attachment before they start to eat like the bigger chickens!

Mine were all freerange too & I bought very little feed except for winter and the eggs always seemed very healthy. Its only since Ive had them penned that the eggs quit being viable. I think they know what they need better than we do sometimes. BTW I rolled up a paper towel and put one end in the water dishes (2) and draped them around the edge of the bator and the humidity is now up to 70% AND I turned the eggs and I only have 5 going in tomorrow. 10 next Tues. Wow I can't even count anymore!!

Good luck!! I have 6 eggs outside in the nests (I leave them there until there are enough...shhh! don't tell
smile.png
), so I will probably have some going in by Friday. I have 2 hens for sure that are still laying, so I am not getting too many right now. I have 3 hens with babies, and 3 that are setting, so it kinda cuts down on my egg count!! I have a game hen that has chicks, and was laying, but either she's stopped, or she bot tired of me stealing them. I think because she has the chicks, her eggs aren't fertile anyway. I put 6 of her eggs in the bator, and nothing from any of them. I have a young hen that is 'missing', I hope she is just setting somewhere, but I doubt it
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom