hatching cayuga duck eggs

I had a total loss in my inc yesterday morning. still not completely sure what happened but the shipped eggs had detached air cells and I was taking special precautions to try to help but they were gone as was my well developed mallard baby. I'm so sad since I only have mommy and daddy on the pond and she doesn't leave her eggs for me so I can't just run out there and find another one. And the person that sent the Cayuga eggs isn't interested in replacing the eggs. I did email her right when they arrived and told her about the air cells. Still a bit teary eyed and my kids were sad too.

I had a total loss in my inc yesterday morning. still not completely sure what happened but the shipped eggs had detached air cells and I was taking special precautions to try to help but they were gone as was my well developed mallard baby. I'm so sad since I only have mommy and daddy on the pond and she doesn't leave her eggs for me so I can't just run out there and find another one. And the person that sent the Cayuga eggs isn't interested in replacing the eggs. I did email her right when they arrived and told her about the air cells. Still a bit teary eyed and my kids were sad too.
AWEEE, you should have talked to me, I've hatched out 6 call ducks with detachable air cells. One thing about duck eggs that I have learned, they are very hardy. Much harder then a chicken although I just recently hatched out 4 Mille Fluer Cochins with detachable air cells.

I did what I read to do.....put them in carton with the fat side up where the bubble is and moved them as little as possible. Can you tell me what you did to hatch successfully?

I did what I read to do.....put them in carton with the fat side up where the bubble is and moved them as little as possible. Can you tell me what you did to hatch successfully?
What I did it let them set for 24 hours big end up in a cool room, after 24 hours then I candled them again, if still loose, I put them in the incubator to start the process, I did NOT lay them down.

I simply kept them in the turner with the turner off, sponged them three times a day as if I was doing it normally. Once I seen them starting to develop which was day 4 or day 5 can't remember exact could have been longer but once I seen that they were developing, I laid them down and treated them as normal would, now some of them the air cell would stick but I did have 6 of them that did not but still fully developed. It looked crazy in the shell when I candled because I could clearly see the air cell moving around however, the babies inside still hatched out normally..

Hope this helps.

OK I have 4 possible dev and have laid them down on day 6. I'm not real hopeful though they just don't look right at all. one was perfect but I'm fairly certain he's no longer alive :'(

OK I have 4 possible dev and have laid them down on day 6. I'm not real hopeful though they just don't look right at all. one was perfect but I'm fairly certain he's no longer alive :'(

HUM, its got to be a setting off, how's the temp and are you sponging them or just controlling the humidity? I never put water in my incubator, I sponged them and the water that went on the egg help with humidity.

I'm looking for some Cayuga Eggs where did you get them. I have asked a few people if they any but they are all in molt now.

My eggs didn't hatch. I used a digital thermometer and it was off over 10* didn't get anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom