hatching cayuga duck eggs

chunkster794

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
I have 3 cayuga hens, 1 cayuga drake and 1 pekin drake. I put a round of eggs in the incubator and they're starting to hatch, but it looks like they can't get out. I've tried looking up what the humidity levels should be several times and it seems to vary anywhere from 45%-95%. Some said to spray the eggs with water when you turn them and everything else. Does anybody know what I did wrong or what I should do to have a better success rate next time? I had the incubator at 99.5 F the whole time with at least 55% humidity the whole time. I did not spray the eggs as I just saw that suggestion for the first time last night. I've had chickens (60,000) my whole life and have no problem hatching them, but apparently I don't know enough about ducks. If anyone can help, please let me know! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

I've noticed my ducklings take much longer to get out than chicks. Like up to 3 days sometimes. Maybe you just need to give them some more time?
I use around 45% then raise it to 65% at lockdown. I use a still air incubator, hand turn 4x a day and I don't spray them. I get good hatches unless of course they are shipped eggs!

Ok first of all there is a forum for Ducks, second, I have read and I am doing it right now, about misting them, this is to increase the hatching rate.. I have hatched out ducks in the past only I had a really good head start because the neighbors brought me eggs that the mommy was sitting on because something was eating them. But this time around I am starting from day one, I have 12 call ducks in my incubator, I have the temp set for 99 to 100, I have the humidity set at 50 to 55, I hand turn them because I was told hand turning is the best thing for call ducks now I don't know about your type of breed but anyway here's what else I do. I turn mine 3 times a day, at 8 in the morning 6 in the eveing and again at midnight, you can set your time however you like, it doesn't have to be exactlly every 8 hours. I doubt it very much that a duck will set there alarm to wake up to turn there eggs. LOL.. Now after I'm done with the turning, I take my sponge and mist each egg. I am on day 7 and I have 12 veining looking spiders with each egg. YEK because I hate spiders... Now since I candled them on day 7 they got another misting. So all's I can say is as of today, I have 12 veiny looking call ducks. Now at lockdown i will raise the humidity up to about 60/65 some say 70. Like you I have hatched out plenty of chickens but this will be my first time from day one with call ducks...

Also ducks take a LOT longer to come out then chickens, A LOT longer. it may take anywhere's between one to three days..

Thank you so much for all the feedback. We're up to 4 ducklings so far and there's quite a few more on their way out. They aren't due until today so we'll see how many actually hatch. I guess I never thought they would take so much longer to actually come out than chickens. Thanks again!!!

I hope my hatch is half as successfull
As you all's. I'm a nervous first-timer with a homemade incubator. Any tips or hints? Anybody please? They'd be much appreciated. :)

I have 3 cayuga hens, 1 cayuga drake and 1 pekin drake. I put a round of eggs in the incubator and they're starting to hatch, but it looks like they can't get out. I've tried looking up what the humidity levels should be several times and it seems to vary anywhere from 45%-95%. Some said to spray the eggs with water when you turn them and everything else. Does anybody know what I did wrong or what I should do to have a better success rate next time? I had the incubator at 99.5 F the whole time with at least 55% humidity the whole time. I did not spray the eggs as I just saw that suggestion for the first time last night. I've had chickens (60,000) my whole life and have no problem hatching them, but apparently I don't know enough about ducks. If anyone can help, please let me know! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in day 5 incubation. I know everything says wait til day 7 to candle but I'm excited and a bit impatient. I have to hold the light at the top of the egg and turn it a few times but then I see what looks like a yellow orange circle with a dark spot and possible veins. But it is surrounded by cloudy dark mass and u can't see any detail if the light doesn't come from the top. Do you know if this is normal. The dad is a mallard and mom is a smaller beige colored duck.

I have Cayuga eggs too and I'm on day 14, so far all but one look to be developing fine. All seem nice and veiny and one looks to be developing a lot faster than the rest. I haven't misted them with water or anything but I do hand turn them 3 times a day and I'm using a home made incubator. My estimated hatch day is the 25 of this month and I have 8 eggs. I only want about 4 ducks but I got 8 since they were shipped eggs. This is my first time with duck eggs and hope they come out. But I'm happy with them developing nicely.

Back
Top Bottom