Hatching chick, Is This Normal?

Chickster72

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2015
I have a chick hatching. Been 12 hrs now. He seems kinda stuck but I don't know. I'm concerned that the membrane looks so dry. Does this look normal???

I'm sorry, I don't think the picture uploaded. However, if the chick has been attempting to hatch for a long time, you can give it a little help by picking some shell away. Chicks take around 24 hours to hatch, pipping a hole in the shell and then resting for a little.

There's the pic. She's definitely stuck. That membrane is glued to her. I'm going to try moistening it with some qtips.

UPDATE: I wet the stuck dried membrane with a moist qtip & gently worked it off of her face, nose, eye & wing. After that she did great.Hatched right out. She's small & very tired but she's doing ok & getting stronger. I'll give her to Mom in the morning

UPDATE: I wet the stuck dried membrane with a moist qtip & gently worked it off of her face, nose, eye & wing. After that she did great.Hatched right out. She's small & very tired but she's doing ok & getting stronger. I'll give her to Mom in the morning

I'm glad she's doing well!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom