HELP! Pekin stuck in shell, dry membrane!

Video of duck trapped. I don't know what to do!

Added link to vid. Sorry guys, newbie here!

What day is it on? Have any of the others hatched? I ask because it is pipped at the wrong end of the shell. When they do this, they need extra time, and given the amount of blood I see in the video, I think you need to wait another 24 hours before peeling more shell off.
1684949606786.png

1684949651358.png

Added a vid to the previous post.

I think the duckling is positioned wrong, and is trying to hatch from the small end.

I tried popping off a portion of the eggshell and membrane is open, so no real way to apply coconut oil. We had 6 hatch over the course of the last 3 days, w/o assistance, and I'm sure when i pulled them out it dropped the humidity, despite misting remaining eggs.

Our Mama pekin was killed on the nest a month ago, so I grabbed her remaining eggs and put them in the incubator. We have 7/10 that hatched and are doing well. 2 eggs are no good, and this poor little guy that's stuck!

When I helped w the egg shell eatlier, it had a little blood that came out, so I immediately stopped and put back in incubator, misted again.

Im just so worried!
Also sorry about the loss of mama, but congrats on such a sucsessful hatch!

The chewing motion he's making means he's still absorbing the yolk sac and not ready to hatch yet. Just leave him be and he'll be able to push his way out on his own when he's ready. I see the edges of the membrane are dry but the rest looks moist, so don't worry about shrink wrapping.
Oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Not doing this before, I was so worried for the little guy!

He's in the incubator and Im not touching him again!

What day is it on? Have any of the others hatched? I ask because it is pipped at the wrong end of the shell. When they do this, they need extra time, and given the amount of blood I see in the video, I think you need to wait another 24 hours before peeling more shell off.
View attachment 3516940
View attachment 3516941
I'll be honest, I have no idea the day it's on, because Mama Pekin was incubating until she met her demise.

I thought I had another week to go, until they started hatching 4 days ago.

Im gonna leave this little guy be, as I could cause more harm than good, and he's got a clutchmate still drying off in the incubator w him, making peeps, so hopefully that'll prompt him to keep working on hatching.

Thank you all so much for the info and help! You guys are awesome! 😊

I'll be honest, I have no idea the day it's on, because Mama Pekin was incubating until she met her demise.

I thought I had another week to go, until they started hatching 4 days ago.

Im gonna leave this little guy be, as I could cause more harm than good, and he's got a clutchmate still drying off in the incubator w him, making peeps, so hopefully that'll prompt him to keep working on hatching.

Thank you all so much for the info and help! You guys are awesome! 😊
I think it will be fine if you wait a little longer. If you see that its membrane is starting to stick to it, you can apply some Neosporing or coconut oil to the membrane.

And welcome to BYC!

Update for today, he's partially out, but doesn't look good and appears to be stuck by his belly in the egg still. We are just watching and waiting....still very worried for the poor little guy. None of the others have had issues, just him.

Back
Top Bottom