HELP! Pekin stuck in shell, dry membrane!

Seasley

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
My last pekin baby is stuck! Has been pipping for over 24 hrs, so I tried helping remove part of the shell, but the membrane is dried! I don't want to lose the little guy, what can I do?!?

Healthy ducklings can take over 48 hours to fully hatch. If the membrane is dry, you can moisten it a bit but it most likely won't require further assistance.

You can apply coconut oil to the membrane to moisten it.

Can you get some pictures?
Added a vid to the previous post.

I think the duckling is positioned wrong, and is trying to hatch from the small end.

I tried popping off a portion of the eggshell and membrane is open, so no real way to apply coconut oil. We had 6 hatch over the course of the last 3 days, w/o assistance, and I'm sure when i pulled them out it dropped the humidity, despite misting remaining eggs.

Our Mama pekin was killed on the nest a month ago, so I grabbed her remaining eggs and put them in the incubator. We have 7/10 that hatched and are doing well. 2 eggs are no good, and this poor little guy that's stuck!

When I helped w the egg shell eatlier, it had a little blood that came out, so I immediately stopped and put back in incubator, misted again.

Im just so worried!

Added a vid to the previous post.

I think the duckling is positioned wrong, and is trying to hatch from the small end.

I tried popping off a portion of the eggshell and membrane is open, so no real way to apply coconut oil. We had 6 hatch over the course of the last 3 days, w/o assistance, and I'm sure when i pulled them out it dropped the humidity, despite misting remaining eggs.

Our Mama pekin was killed on the nest a month ago, so I grabbed her remaining eggs and put them in the incubator. We have 7/10 that hatched and are doing well. 2 eggs are no good, and this poor little guy that's stuck!

When I helped w the egg shell eatlier, it had a little blood that came out, so I immediately stopped and put back in incubator, misted again.

Im just so worried!
The chewing motion he's making means he's still absorbing the yolk sac and not ready to hatch yet. Just leave him be and he'll be able to push his way out on his own when he's ready. I see the edges of the membrane are dry but the rest looks moist, so don't worry about shrink wrapping.

Back
Top Bottom