Hatching conundrum

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
I had a broody just hatch out 11 out of 14 eggs (13 originally) that were due last Friday. The first hatched on Thursday and the rest on Friday and Saturday. By Saturday we moved her and the chicks into a separate area and I put the remaining three in the bator, just in case. As of tonight, we determined there was no movement in two, but I’ve seen movement, and clear movement in the last one. Is that possible, 5 days late? There is also a clump of poop on the shell that is green that is obviously stuck on pretty good by now. Could/would she have laid an egg after setting already? I had collected the eggs and put them under her once I saw she was broody and not coming off the nest, but I had put 13, not 14. Kinda confused at this point 🤔

I thought I read somewhere they didn’t lay eggs when they were setting on eggs. Does the green poop on the shell create issues hatching issues? It’s the only one in the bator. Thanks!
I wiped mine gently off just to be sure it wouldn’t contaminate any others, just try not to get it wet and be gentle.

One of these is what happened:

Someone laid an egg with her because they love laying where broody hens are

She stole an egg (they carry them under their wings or roll the eggs if they are close enough to the nest)

Or a possible miscount

They do not lay while hatching.

I wiped mine gently off just to be sure it wouldn’t contaminate any others, just try not to get it wet and be gentle.
We’ll, the problem is that I didn’t discover the poop on the egg until after I moved the hen and babies, so I image the poop had been pretty cooked on there after 22 days under mama. It won’t budge at this point and I’m nervous to try anything at this incredibly late stage in the game. There are no others to contaminate at this point.

We’ll, the problem is that I didn’t discover the poop on the egg until after I moved the hen and babies, so I image the poop had been pretty cooked on there after 22 days under mama. It won’t budge at this point and I’m nervous to try anything at this incredibly late stage in the game. There are no others to contaminate at this point.
Then i would leave it. Im sure it will be okay.

One of these is what happened:

Someone laid an egg with her because they love laying where broody hens are

She stole an egg (they carry them under their wings or roll the eggs if they are close enough to the nest)

Or a possible miscount

They do not lay while hatching.
No kidding! I didn’t know they could carry eggs under their wings 🤯 I don’t believe she could’ve rolled it as the boxes are slightly elevated with a lip. If it was a miscount, would it go 5 days after the hatch date? Maybe someone got in when she stepped out, but I never even saw her leave the nest (I started taking her water and a little food when I noticed I hadn’t seen her off the box.) Regardless, I guess we’ll see what happens soon! Thanks!

No kidding! I didn’t know they could carry eggs under their wings 🤯 I don’t believe she could’ve rolled it as the boxes are slightly elevated with a lip. If it was a miscount, would it go 5 days after the hatch date? Maybe someone got in when she stepped out, but I never even saw her leave the nest (I started taking her water and a little food when I noticed I hadn’t seen her off the box.) Regardless, I guess we’ll see what happens soon! Thanks!
If its a staggered one, yes, it would.

When the chicks hatch and if the egg doesn’t within a reasonable amount of time, you must remove the egg. She will not tend to her babies if the egg doesn’t hatch.
Hope all is well with the mom and chicks! :)

If its a staggered one, yes, it would.

When the chicks hatch and if the egg doesn’t within a reasonable amount of time, you must remove the egg. She will not tend to her babies if the egg doesn’t hatch.
Hope all is well with the mom and chicks! :)
Mom and babies are doing great, babies are adorable 🥰 Hoping we can add this little nugget to the family, but very grateful for her success. She’s an awesome mama.
E3BC6B42-074A-47B5-BA0A-7D618CBC5C75.jpeg
F5CEEB69-377F-484A-BC3B-F5F6AEC099F7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom