Hatching countdown.......

lurky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Western MA
So i have 2 eggs due to hatch
jumpy.gif
this coming week-ish. And there is the problem.....the ish part. I understand i should stop turning the eggs 3 days before the 21st day,but i dont know for sure because one egg was under a broody hen for 1 to 3 days before i had it. so can someone tell me if i should stop turning now? would a few days make a difference at this point? or would it be safer to keep turning til they make a hole? I saw a post where a lady had RR's and they started hatching way early so i assume she was turning and it hatched anyway.........
hu.gif

Any ideas?

Gee, you have two eggs you know when they're supposed to hatch and one you're not sure of, is that correct? I think I would sort of split the difference here and stop turning on what you know is Day 19, not 18, for those two, and just hope the other one will hatch anyway. That's the problem with staggered hatches unless you have a second bator to use as a hatcher and can move the eggs on their Day 18 as it comes up. Anyway, it may not be a perfect solution, but it may give the third egg a little better chance to hatch, but probably won't harm the other two to stop turning a day later than you usually would. Hope this makes sense.

Funny thing....I just looked again at the calender to decide on all this and i realized that i would actually need to stop turning both of them either Sat or sun. Time flies......its a good thing i started thinking about this when i did. One of them is so dark green that you can barely see in it when candling...but its in there......the other one is going to be a livewire (maybe that'll be its name).......because it moves sooooo much. Anyway.......this is going to be fun......first time
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom