Hatch-Along - Hatching Day MARCH 25 (first time using incubator) ANYONE ELSE?

Irish... thanks for coming on board! Wow... ducks and geese!
Do you have all in the same incubator? Do they take the same time?
I have turkeys and ducks but have gotten no eggs yet. Can't wait!

We have ISA browns so this second generation won t breed true. It will be fun to see what they look like. Great birds friendly and out of 26 hens we get 24 to 25 eggs a day. We also have blue slate turkey which I want to try hatching next. We breed Pygmy goats and I am a full time beekeeper in the spring and summer. What about you guys?

That's great glad your on track. I managed to get new thermometer but candling I think I lost six possibly seven more eggs from the issue. This new thermostat is about half degree off the cheap two I have in there so I am going by the cheap ones. Definitely putting in order for one from the states for next hatch. Quick question though I have one egg while candling that's embryo is a lot darker than the others does that mean the chick will be darker than the rest? I have only ever had light chicks.

Oh... love your question cause I have the same and have been researching a little...

Well to make a long story short. There is the debate to wether a freckled egg or outside pigmentation has an effect on embryo coloring and development. If you want to go ckoo-ckoo on it read: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/09/egg-colors/
caf.gif

In addition, I have two very freckled eggs (they look normal outside, but look porous or freckled through the light). They seem to have darker embryos which actually make them look like bigger embryos).

This is my second (and feels like first) incubation so I can't tell more than this. All eggs in the first incubation were white and none looked freckled when candled. This time around all are in shades of beige and have various degrees of freckledness.

Your first question might be a good one to post on the forum for more experienced members to look at.

Now a question for you: One of the embryos is moving slowly. Will that affect survival? Have you had any slow moving ones that end up dying?

My slow one yesterday is just fine today. Honestly I think they might just be sleeping. It worked out really well I checked again. The dark embryo I seen is in normal shell that's why it's kindo of surprising the color variation. Thanks for the info.I guess I will find out when it hatches for sure. But I will do some research too.

I didn't even know about hatch-a-longs until today. We're also on our first use of the incubator and our very first time trying to hatch. Set 23 eggs so far - two rounds. First batch should hatch the week before Easter and the second the weekend of Easter. I candled the first batch at 1 week and had good movement in 9 of 11. At 10 days, in 10 of 11, so I pulled the stagnant one to prevent a blow up. Tonight will be candling the second batch since we're at 7ish days. And I'll be checking progress on the first batch since they are at about 14 days. So excited to hatch our own. They are mixed breed bantams. Their parents were the offspring of a varied flock of purebred free-range bantams, so they have some very fun mixed characteristics and lay a beaufitul pinkish egg. So excited to see who hatches!

I didn't even know about hatch-a-longs until today. We're also on our first use of the incubator and our very first time trying to hatch. Set 23 eggs so far - two rounds. First batch should hatch the week before Easter and the second the weekend of Easter. I candled the first batch at 1 week and had good movement in 9 of 11. At 10 days, in 10 of 11, so I pulled the stagnant one to prevent a blow up. Tonight will be candling the second batch since we're at 7ish days. And I'll be checking progress on the first batch since they are at about 14 days. So excited to hatch our own. They are mixed breed bantams. Their parents were the offspring of a varied flock of purebred free-range bantams, so they have some very fun mixed characteristics and lay a beaufitul pinkish egg. So excited to see who hatches!
Jbenson... welcome aboard! Wow two hatches. That's double the excitement. I had some trouble candling today since embryos are larger and I have a crappy flashlight. Need to get a better one asap.

Halfway through day 14 for me so I candled. All is well and my aircells looked great. I started with 27 and have 23 left in bator. Not bad considering they went through thermostat scare and my power went out last week for 1 1/2 hrs. I found a source close by for some Buff Orpington eggs so I might just order some and do another hatch while I m waiting for my turkey eggs. I hope all is going well for everyone. It s been pretty quiet in here. Lockdown for me Thursday at 6:30pm. Time is moving so slowly now.

Back
Top Bottom