Hatching duckling troubles

Congrats!!:love

Thank you and more questions

Now, we have a different issue. Of the two that hatched this morning they were doing fine until two of the mamas attacked one of the newest ducklings. I brought the LO in and put him in the incubator. Looks a little better now. Went out to check water again (it is in the high 80s and very humid here today and they are drinking both pans of water quick!) and yet another one JUST hatched (still very wet). The nest mamas were outside the shed just standing there outside the door and the two other mamas were attacking the still wet duckling. (Picking it up by the tail or head.) it does not appear that there is anything wrong with it. I took the two attacking mamas out of the shed and the two other mamas came back in and sat with all the babies.

Is this normal for one mama to attack another’s babies? This is two now just today. Not sure what to do with the “attacking mamas”. Help, please? (Again...yeah, we thought it would be easier for moms to raise the babies than doing it in the incubator and brooder. Lol. It is not!)

Put a barrier around mamas a ducklings it is normal for other flock members to attack ducklings. Use some fencing of some kind so everyone can see each other but the others can’t get to them

Last edited:
One more question do I need to keep the mom families separate for 3 weeks, too? Along with keeping them separated from the flock?

There are 2 moms sitting on each nest. So “mom families” was the best I could come up with to describe them. Basically, the sister wives and their offspring versus the other set of sister wives and their offspring.
Several weeks ago three of my hens came off their nests with 15 ducklings in tow. Then two more hens hatched a couple and those ducklings joined the 15 and three moms.

I don't separate any here, I just make sure the ducklings don't get left behind and are safe.

Back
Top Bottom