hatching egg questions from a newbie

gwebbbb

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 24, 2009
Hope this is the correct place to ask these questions. My Rir hens are in a run with wyandotte roosters. I want RIR chicks and not crosses so how long do they need to be seperated from the Wyandottes roos and with only the RIR roo before i get RIR chicks and not crosses? Second, how do i store the eggs while i wait to collect enough for the bator? Lastly, what is the chances i will have anything hatch with my first run using a little giant bator?

You'd probably want to separate the RIR's for at least a month before they would be 'pure'.

You can leave fertile eggs out on your counter until they are ready to go into the incubator. Do not refrigerate. Anything older than 7 days gets risky for hatching.

I'd go with separating for a month, I'm doing it now. To store the eggs, I put them large end up into a carton, make sure they are clean eggs, you can rinse them, won't hurt a thing as long as they aren't TOO dirty, don't refrigerate, and put a book under one end of the carton, switch the book or whatever to the other end the next day........and so on back and forth till you have the amount of eggs you want to hatch. they say you can hold the eggs for 2 wks, me I wouldn't keep them for more than 1 week.
I just had my 1st hatch and did pretty good, it's alot of fun!
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nancy
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom