Hatching eggs almost $400 auction? Why?

ufo_chris

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
lisbon,Ohio
Ok,I'm new to this but seen the auction for the silver laced brahma eggs that is near $400 now.
Are these just SLW crossed with light Brahmas in the beginning?
And it takes 20 years of breeding to get them to breed true?
Is that why they are so much?
If I do the same cross ,will the first generation look like these?
And if someone spends all that money on them 1. can they breed the offspring together(probably full siblings),and for how long will they get top dollar for those eggs?
I'm just wondering all this to see why the price is so high and learn something.
Thanks for any info,
Chris

Can you imagine how much feed and work went into raising, culling, hatching, raising, culling hatching for twenty years to make these birds? I'm sure he has probably twenty grand into developing, is my super accurate wild arse guess... let the man make his money. Of COURSE an F1 cross will not look like that. Nor will the F5, 10 nor 15. It takes incredible dedication, fortitude, skill, money, and work to develop a new color. I for one am THRILLED to see the man get decent recognition for working so hard on this amazing variety. Right now money is tight or else I would have put my bid in there. I just figured they would go over my head, which they did the first bid, lol.

yes, this cross would take many years(and crosses) to get to breed true, so all those years are definitely worth more than that IMO

Quote:
I agree and he has been on here for a little while and we were just going WOWers on his birds. He has spent many years developing the breed, culling heavily here and there. He is not any different than the Light and Coronation Sussex that is popular right now.

I am happy for him, making some money on his hard earned money. After all he can prove his wife wrong LOLOL! She was doubting him all that time lOLOL!

Hey ,I'm really not dissing that guy,GOOD FOR HIM! I'm just curious how and why ,that's all.
Will this be a registered breed then? How do you get to that point?

Quote:
Read the link I posted .... there you learn about it.
wink.png

Quote:
To get to the point of them being recognized GOOD breeders have to propagate and show these birds a LOT. It could take a while. They are worth that because this is the only known flock of these birds IN THE WORLD. It took a load of time effort and patience, not to mention knowledge of genetics. I think this guy did a great job too...ending bid says someone else agrees...675.45!!!!!!!!!!!! Two very happy people on here tonight
wink.png

Yeah, you shouldn't be complaining about $400 . . . You should be wondering about $700.
wink.png
But, really, it's called Brahmas are SO worth it, a new color is SO worth it, and 20 years in the making. . . Just add that all up. Also, those Brahmas have the most perfect conformation I've seen in the US, to top it off.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom