Hatching Eggs in High Altitude

abbysilkys

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2017
7,500 feet in the Rocky Mountains
I have noticed that there are few threads that go over this topic. I want people to add on everything they know about how to get the best results when hatching in higher altitudes.

Add Information About:

-Where to get eggs

-Information about shipped eggs

-Humidity levels

-Temperature

-Amount of holes in the incubator

-Oxygen levels

-Turning

-Lockdown humidity levels

-And any other tips to help others have a better hatch in the mountains or just higher altitude

Just remember that everyone's incubator works differently and that people may be at a slightly different elevation. This could cause their levels that work for them may not work for you, and you may have to do trial and error to see what works best for you.

Any tips help for beginners just getting started into hatching or regular hatchers that moved into a higher altitude.

I am at 7,500 feet above sea level and I am just a beginner at hatching and i have eggs in the incubator going to hatch this weekend. I am also putting more eggs in this weekend to hatch in the Easter hatch-along.

That’s some very good questions but I don’t have any experience myself, I’m only at 1150 feet elevation. I’ve read a little about the effects but none were from what I would call a reliable source. As you said, you have some trial and error determining how your incubator works anyway, no matter your elevation.

In my opinion humidity and venting would probably be the aspects that would more likely vary by your extremes elevation, but that’s just opinion. Could you contact your county extension office and see it they can answer the question. Different agents are of different quality, but my agent would hook me up with a professor at my state land-grant university who would be most likely to give you reliable answers. I’ve done that often enough that now I just call the professor directly.

I’ll subscribe to this thread to see if you get any good responses. I think it is a very good question.

For any hatching it is a matter of opinion on humidity levels and it just take trial and error. It may take longer in altitude just because it is harder to hatch here. The main thing I have heard is to keep the humidity higher than others, but it's hard living in such a dry climate to do that. Especially when we are having a drought with a ton of fire restrictions because the humidity level outside is 1%.

Back
Top Bottom