Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rain can really stop now. How am I to get anything done outside with it raining for 3 days? I've been going through the breeds I have and looking them over to decide who stays and who goes. After 3 years raising chickens, I know what body type I like. I love my Legbars and my Barthuhners. Nice big bodies. I never liked the polish. So with much thought and studying I've decided the Augsburgers will be going. With a rooster that will weight 6 pounds, it's just not the body style I like or want. Too small. I find usually the small bodied birds are more flighty. The barnies are staying as well as both colors of the barthuhners, so are the CCL. Of course the white bresse, orps and wyandottes are too. We will be adding Midge Whites this year too. That leaves the SFH and Brahmas still to decide on. I may end up putting in another pen later this year. DH is going to love me.
big_smile.png

I use hot water to dissolve the yeast and it bubbles as much as I've seen anyone's who let's theirs sit for a day or two. Smells the same as well. The yeast gives more microorganisms to start digesting the feed than using acv. The acv stops fermenting at a point if no new medium is added. Using yeast does the same thing, except the process is speeded up with a concentrated MO.
My feed that is fed is the same as feed left to sit for two days with a diluted MO. The reason most have to sit for so long is because the MO's being used have to reproduce and build up until there are enough to digest the feed. they start digesting immediately, but it depends on how many MO's are in the feed. Basically, same concept as trying to turn feed to fertilizer... 50 ducks are going to turn it to fertilizer much faster than one.

Last edited:
The rain can really stop now. How am I to get anything done outside with it raining for 3 days? I've been going through the breeds I have and looking them over to decide who stays and who goes. After 3 years raising chickens, I know what body type I like. I love my Legbars and my Barthuhners. Nice big bodies. I never liked the polish. So with much thought and studying I've decided the Augsburgers will be going. With a rooster that will weight 6 pounds, it's just not the body style I like or want. Too small. I find usually the small bodied birds are more flighty. The barnies are staying as well as both colors of the barthuhners, so are the CCL. Of course the white bresse, orps and wyandottes are too. We will be adding Midge Whites this year too. That leaves the SFH and Brahmas still to decide on. I may end up putting in another pen later this year. DH is going to love me.
big_smile.png
Oh just tell him the turkeys are for him not you! That way he can build his birds a new pen. See I'm sneaky like that.
1f607.png

As many as I have to feed, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I will attempt it. Soon... hmmmm
I have been saving about 70% off my feed costs!!! I think we haven't been aerating it or turning it enough. I would try it again....though I wonder if I can check PH or something. Also, I won't try it with babies.

can you ferment regular crumbles feed? I feed that, veggies and fruits and of course table scraps...but would actually like to feed less crumbles if I can.

Last edited:
It's a massive money saver. I feed babies FF usually after a few days. Going from crumbles ($17/50lbs) to mash ($24/100lbs) and fermenting it (just about halving their intake) saves a TON of money. Wet feed alone saves some, because they don't flick it around as easily.

I have been saving about 70% off my feed costs!!! I think we haven't been aerating it or turning it enough. I would try it again....though I wonder if I can check PH or something. Also, I won't try it with babies.
I tried FF and it's just too much for me to maintain. I can be forgetful at times and trying to remember to turn it just wasn't working for me.

It's a massive money saver. I feed babies FF usually after a few days. Going from crumbles ($17/50lbs) to mash ($24/100lbs) and fermenting it (just about halving their intake) saves a TON of money. Wet feed alone saves some, because they don't flick it around as easily.
I feed wet feed from day one with my chicks. Once they go outside they get dry feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom