Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
PayPal sent to Papa Brooder for #10200.

I'd like to ask all you seasoned hatchers here...have any of you ever had a broody hen kill her own newborn chick? I've never had a hen do that before and I'm wondering if I should take the others away from her.
I've heard it happening before.

I doubt it was BM6. I got an awesomely packed box from her a week ago.

I don't think it was her either. not the same postmark as her.
idunno.gif

Thank you for those, always good to get more information.

The first one says it can be done to change male to female - but the resulting females' offspring are then all males.. I don't think I want those hens although the broiler raisers would. Its borderline and only 10% can be changed.

The funny thing is the second one says more girls with high heat for first 3 days and more boys with low (in bush turkeys). And it is because the other embryos die... confusion reigns!
lau.gif

Maybe you just have the magic touch - when you want all girls.. you magically turn them into all girls. When you want boys...

I'd like to ask all you seasoned hatchers here...have any of you ever had a broody hen kill her own newborn chick? I've never had a hen do that before and I'm wondering if I should take the others away from her.

Yes. My mother's do that if the chick is the wrong color (Black OEG killed any light colored chicks). I had a Blue Silkie peck at a black Sumatra chick I put under her the night before and chase it off but accept the brown Partridge Wyandotte Bantam chick - so I think some hens are prejudiced. They won't allow the "wrong color" chick to live. My other Blue Silkie raised a black Sumatra, Blue Silkie cross, Chipmunk EE and a Silver/White, she didn't care what color they were.

If she accepts the others she will take care of them. Its usually an immediate reaction of "its wrong" and bam!

Not that I can afford to bid today, but what's our courtesy rule here for RBA, I know we don't bid over each other, but what if one of us was bidding in the bid history? Are we kosher to bid against the high bidder that's not one of us?

For instance:

Bid 1: Me
Bid 2: Joe Blow
Bid 3: Me
Bid 4: Billy Bob
Bid 5: Jane Doe

Another one of us wants to be Bid 6. Is that cool or no? It's hard to tell if a bidder that was one of us has dropped out sometimes, but I'd rather see one of us get it than Joe Blow. Opinions if there is no rule, written or not yet.

Once in a while a first time broody will yank out and kill the first chick. I was always told that they probably thought it was a mouse and were protecting their chicks. I've seen a hen do this once and she was and has been many times a good momma. She literally reached under grabbed the chick hard enough to split its yolk and toss it onto the wall. It died of course, but after that she was fine. I wonder if she realized what she did? Anyway first time moms can do that. Ours has never did it again and has raised many a chick for us. Give her some time, but keep a close eye.

Yes. My mother's do that if the chick is the wrong color (Black OEG killed any light colored chicks). I had a Blue Silkie peck at a black Sumatra chick I put under her the night before and chase it off but accept the brown Partridge Wyandotte Bantam chick - so I think some hens are prejudiced. They won't allow the "wrong color" chick to live. My other Blue Silkie raised a black Sumatra, Blue Silkie cross, Chipmunk EE and a Silver/White, she didn't care what color they were.

If she accepts the others she will take care of them. Its usually an immediate reaction of "its wrong" and bam!
I wonder also if they know something's not right with the chick....

Thank you for those, always good to get more information.  

The first one says it can be done to change male to female - but the resulting females' offspring are then all males.. I don't think I want those hens although the broiler raisers would.  Its borderline and only 10% can be changed. 

The funny thing is the second one says more girls with high heat for first 3 days and more boys with low (in bush turkeys).  And it is because the other embryos die... confusion reigns! :lau

Maybe you just have the magic touch - when you want all girls.. you magically turn them into all girls.  When you want boys...

Like I said I'm sure we haven't heard the last word on the subject. So much is not known about it even though so much is known on it. I like all the old wives tales. There is always a grain of truth in them. Funny how those old farmers could do things that we struggle with now and with such mediocre equipment.

Last edited:
Not that I can afford to bid today, but what's our courtesy rule here for RBA, I know we don't bid over each other, but what if one of us was bidding in the bid history? Are we kosher to bid against the high bidder that's not one of us?

For instance:

Bid 1: Me
Bid 2: Joe Blow
Bid 3: Me
Bid 4: Billy Bob
Bid 5: Jane Doe

Another one of us wants to be Bid 6. Is that cool or no? It's hard to tell if a bidder that was one of us has dropped out sometimes, but I'd rather see one of us get it than Joe Blow. Opinions if there is no rule, written or not yet.
If they are no longer the high bidder, fair game then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom