Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
wonder if threatening to eat the OEGBs and White Rhodes would coax them into laying?
he.gif

Just take the crockpot out and sit it next to their pen! That always seems to work for me!
lau.gif

I really need to crank out the ducks. Quail and turkeys second. My ducks are the best meat and easiest for me to butcher. I just have been having terrible hatches. I've had 40 or so fertile pekin eggs that haven't hatched because of my bator issues. Ducks and turkeys bring the most money back, but chickens produce decent meat fast, quail are cheap meat, but take a lot to produce a meal. The chickens don't sell for squat. Even fully grown meaties. Nobody around here wants to butcher their own birds and I am not equipped to do so. It's hard enough butchering meat for ourselves without a plucker! $2k is too much and I'm not sure how well a drill plucker would work. Anyone know how the pluckers do on the tiny fuzzy feathers?
Our plucker cost under 500 total that we just built. Tub style with fingers and does chickens and ducks both lickity split clean. 2k is for the stainless steele professional pluckers.

Well, the turkey hen finally gave me an egg. I was just talking about butchering her too, lol.

See. I told ya she was getting ready to commence laying.

I took the last couple of eggs away from Eva last night. She is getting a bath today. Dried mucky egg all over her chest. Poor girl so wants to be a momma, but she just keeps squishing eggs. Thankfully they were only duck and goose as we can spare them.

we bought and followed the whizbang plans. Loveit, and its big enough to handle turkey and goose both. the whizbang guy claims it doesnt work as well on duck, but those we did were clean when done. We have a good scalder too and didnt expect 3 seconds for the plucking to be done on a duck. Just a couple hand pluck bits off the wing.

I have seremas hatching out all over the place. I have 5 broody hens right now. All of them have serema eggs under them. I am getting a better roo to hen ratio with them unlike all the cream legbars. I am hoping the ones from corancher turn out some hens. I have more cream legbar roos then I know what to do with.

Does anyone have a link or a recommendation on where I can find info about processing my first chicken? I have a light Brahma hen that hurt her leg and has now started picking her own feathers to where she has plucked a bloody hole in her wing. It isn't the other hens; it is her.

I have never killed and butchered an adult, but I hate to waste the meat on this girl as she weighs over 10 lbs. DH refuses to kill one. I could wade my way through the butchering, but I need the best way to kill her.

HELP! Please?

Does anyone have a link or a recommendation on where I can find info about processing my first chicken? I have a light Brahma hen that hurt her leg and has now started picking her own feathers to where she has plucked a bloody hole in her wing. It isn't the other hens; it is her.

I have never killed and butchered an adult, but I hate to waste the meat on this girl as she weighs over 10 lbs. DH refuses to kill one. I could wade my way through the butchering, but I need the best way to kill her.

HELP! Please?
check out the meat thread here on BYC, lots of good helpful folks up there. Ours get hung upside down, bled out, dropped in the scalder, then the plucker and into the ice bath, then they get cleaned out, legs off, washed in cold water and placed on trays and into the friedge we use for resting the birds. We use shrink bags that you dip in boiling water to seal them for freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom