Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never had any kind of side effects here from using fly eliminators. Pretty well eradicated the fly population here and there is 7 horses and uhmmm, maybe 100ish chickens and 25ish ducks. Add 3 dogs, 2 barn cats, and a partridge in a pear tree...

I was just looking at the Arbico Organics website (I looked at them before, but didn't act on it), I have WAY too many flies. I need to sign up for the 2-3 week delivery.

Anyway, I was looking at the mosquito bits too, can they be used in a horse trough? We have sheep & alpacas with standing water and way too many mosquitos around here. We are also subject to West Nile virus here.

Do the fly eliminators have any adverse side effects. it worries me to start messing with mother nature

They are specific to flies. If they run out of flies, they die off. They don't start attacking butterflies or anything. ;)

I was just looking at the Arbico Organics website (I looked at them before, but didn't act on it), I have WAY too many flies.  I need to sign up for the 2-3 week delivery.

Anyway, I was looking at the mosquito bits too, can they be used in a horse trough?  We have sheep & alpacas with standing water and way too many mosquitos around here.  We are also subject to West Nile virus here.
they don't do mosquitoes, unfortunately. And they'll drown.

FYI...researchers are working with a phorid wasp that parasitizes fire ants. They have to make sure it's safe, and then find a way to breed them to market, but maybe in a few years we can release parasites for those, too!

Oh....and I mis-read what you meant about the mosquitoes. I haven't looked at what they offer for those.

I tried to take a picture of the batch I just got in. I'll need to release them tomorrow. They're too small without a camera, so this is blurry. The round disk is a dime. The black dots on the dime are the parasites. This is from my phone.

This is from my iPad. The larger black things are the infested fly pupae.

Last edited:
I also have a bumper sticker on my car that says, "I like poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick." I find parasites fascinating. Some of them are amazingly specialized. And some can control the behavior of their host...including us!

But in/on me or my critters, I'd just as soon see them dead and mounted on a slide.

I was just looking at the Arbico Organics website (I looked at them before, but didn't act on it), I have WAY too many flies. I need to sign up for the 2-3 week delivery.

Anyway, I was looking at the mosquito bits too, can they be used in a horse trough? We have sheep & alpacas with standing water and way too many mosquitos around here. We are also subject to West Nile virus here.
If the mosquito bits are the Bt bits, I believe they are safe for animals and fish. I have used them in the past, but I need to get more for this year.

Oh....and I mis-read what you meant about the mosquitoes. I haven't looked at what they offer for those.

I tried to take a picture of the batch I just got in. I'll need to release them tomorrow. They're too small without a camera, so this is blurry. The round disk is a dime. The black dots on the dime are the parasites. This is from my phone.

This is from my iPad. The larger black things are the infested fly pupae.

How many units are you using ???

I use a half unit, with the worst months doubled. I've got around 150 chickens, forty-ish turkey poults, rabbits, calves, a cat, and four big doggies. No horses.

The Bt is safe for mammals and fish, but it affects the life cycle of lots of insects. It's not species specific.

Last edited:
Quote: They are the Bt bits.
I use a half unit, with the worst months doubled. I've got around 150 chickens, forty-ish turkey poults, rabbits, calves, a cat, and four big doggies. No horses.

The Bt is safe for mammals and fish, but it affects the life cycle of lots of insects. It's not species specific.
Yeah, it said it was safe for other species, it was for mosquitos. It listed all the normal.........pond, swimming pools, standing water, flower pots, tires, tree trunks, etc. Just didn't say troughs so I wanted to be sure. I'm assuming yes, but I'll call their customer service line. I have to call them anyway, because my chicken numbers are WAY higher than the 115 cap for just ordering. I'm more in the 400-500 numbers.

Last edited:

Ok here's a pic of an egg with a dead in shell duckling. So should I say something? I traded to specifically get Peking and the rouens were tossed in as extras. Looks like they are all rouens to me. I had 4 hatch, but only two were labeled correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom