Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of my broodies: a blue copper marans. And that is one of her chicks. She had 2 hatch but one didn't make it. I had 2 more just like them in the house so I put those up under her with no issues. Those little darling chicks are white bresse/NN OE mixes. Are they not the cutest??!!!!

No it's not. OK OK, kinda.
tongue2.gif

This is one of my broodies: a blue copper marans. And that is one of her chicks. She had 2 hatch but one didn't make it. I had 2 more just like them in the house so I put those up under her with no issues. Those little darling chicks are white bresse/NN OE mixes. Are they not the cutest??!!!!
We love our NNs! Most people think there is something wrong with them and that they aren't cold hardy. Once we explain to them that's normal and they see them out in the middle of a blizzard (yes, ours go out no matter the weather. All our birds do.) then they want some. We got two of the cutest little NN polish crosses from Mr. Heinz. I lost the little black one, my favorite, to I think cocci last week, but we till have the other. I need to get some more cooking since people are already asking for them this year.
I wouldn't think that would work. When I incubated duck eggs, they needed higher humidity and daily misting with water. Looking at my ducks' nest, they usually bring in lots of mud and like things very messy
sickbyc.gif
Well, maybe they don't like it that way, but that's the way it ends up. Doesn't sound like a good environment for chicken eggs.
My ducks are the same way if I let them. It's why I call them YUCKS. I can clean their nest bedding out weekly if I want relatively clean eggs. Their coop has a plastic mesh kennel floor for ease in cleaning with a hose.

Last edited:
ok that is a bazzare yet cute little NN chick there. lol

I dont compaire our prices for birds with others unless they have the exact same quality we do on the exact same breed. I never compare with someone in another state since local markets dictate the prices you can ask. I have also found that people will brag to have this line or that line and charge crazy prices based on "a line" and really not have a clue what they are talking about and dont know how to cull properly for breeding. I have my lines, I may buy breeding stock from Joe Breeder located in X, but when I raise them up, and place them with my choice of breeding companion they become MY LINES and my lines only. Unless the person who;s lines you brag at having is actively helping you make cull choices and breeding pairings you are breeding your own lines. You have obtained stock from source X,Y,Z and selected from them on your own to breed and offer egg and hatchlings from.

I dont compaire our prices for birds with others unless they have the exact same quality we do on the exact same breed. I never compare with someone in another state since local markets dictate the prices you can ask. I have also found that people will brag to have this line or that line and charge crazy prices based on "a line" and really not have a clue what they are talking about and dont know how to cull properly for breeding. I have my lines, I may buy breeding stock from Joe Breeder located in X, but when I raise them up, and place them with my choice of breeding companion they become MY LINES and my lines only. Unless the person who;s lines you brag at having is actively helping you make cull choices and breeding pairings you are breeding your own lines. You have obtained stock from source X,Y,Z and selected from them on your own to breed and offer egg and hatchlings from.

x2 - all my birds are my own lines because I choose the breeders, except for my BLRWs because Jerry Foley actually set up the breeding group for me. I won't be choosing my own breeders for a second pen until next year. Lots of growing out to do!

Pricing on birds here locally is really weird. People pretty much get whatever they ask for rare orps, but other breeds are hit and miss. Very few people here have ever heard of Basque, Bresse or Olandsk Dwarfs, much less the Barthuners. It would be much easier for me to self-sustain if I didn't like some of the rarer (non-orp) breeds.

Last edited:
X2!
P. S. I did do a double take on the lil chick... Then I reread the post! Lol cute:D

I would like to apologize once again for the attitudes of my bantam orps. It seems all 3 of decided to got broody yet again together. Tomorrow I will start the breaking process and hope it doesn't take them long to start laying again.
th.gif

I would like to apologize once again for the attitudes of my bantam orps. It seems all 3 of decided to got broody yet again together. Tomorrow I will start the breaking process and hope it doesn't take them long to start laying again.
th.gif
poor poor broodies

sorry about the orps madamwlf! I think everyone want some! ;D A pic of my determined broody mille fluer x?setting ten of her own eggs! Due around the 30th If she does well I might try putting a few pheasants eggs next time! now that would be neat to see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom