hatching eggs special!! silkies, showgirls *closed*

"Homozygous naked neck is really pretty hard to come by. Both of my SG roos are homozygous and most of my flock are heterozygous SG hens, with some straight Silkies in the mix. That said I've only ever hatched out 3 (!!) homozygous chicks in the past two years! All were boys. This gives you an idea of how rare they are. "

*Well, Im far from being a Genetic wizard BUT. I've had multiple hatches with the heterozygous Showgirls usually there is some in every hatch. Both pullets and cockerels. personally I really don't think that the heterogyzous gene is that "rare" JMHO.
wink.png

*You do have to remember that breeding SG to Sg will double up on the turken gene and the birds "may" look gorgeous but the offsping will start to regress. Thus ending up with missing 3rd toe foot feahtering, red blotchy patches on the neck,large incorrect combs, large sized birds,duck wings. etc.. This is why most "hard core" breeders will take their best Sg's and cross them back to good quality silkies. And continue to go from there. add to that a mixed colored flock and guess what u have no clue what will hatch and who is throwing what or why it's another reason "hard core breeders" raise and breed their birds's to the standards.

"I just bought a pair of SG with Hattrick lines off eggbid- spent about $120 some odd dollars to get them, but I can't imagine how many eggs I'd have to buy and hatch to finally end up with the incredible quality this pair has! :0) I still think hatching eggs is great fun, but if you're really looking for something specific and fairly rare, you might want to consider springing for one already hatched and raised, ready for breeding."

*Regarding breeders. Well, most "established" breeders will say that once the birds or eggs leave their property and you introduce them into your flock. Those birds/eggs are yours. To quote a VERY "established" breeder. If you see my name being "pimped" on birds or eggs for sale on the net and their not by me, You really need to ask the question WHY!?

to answer cindy, the bowtied ones as is in my avi is what is desired cuz the others look like baby dinasaures. they do not produce as nice of babies as i'd like but both r wonderful for breeding and ea has their own attributes. either is fine and a preferance just as bearded and non bearded is a preferance. yes it is clear at hatch who is who.
Silkie

Homozygous naked neck is really pretty hard to come by. .

Well, Im far from being a Genetic wizard BUT. I've had multiple hatches with the heterozygous Showgirls usually there is some in every hatch. Both pullets and cockerels. personally I really don't think that the heterogyzous gene is that "rare" JMHO.

Note I said homozygous, not heterozygous.
wink.png
Just wanted to point that out. Yes, I hatch out mostly heterozygous SG with a smattering of straight Silkies most of the time.
cool.png

You do have to remember that breeding SG to Sg will double up on the turken gene and the birds "may" look gorgeous but the offsping will start to regress. Thus ending up with missing 3rd toe foot feahtering, red blotchy patches on the neck,large incorrect combs, large sized birds,duck wings. etc.. This is why most "hard core" breeders will take their best Sg's and cross them back to good quality silkies. And continue to go from there. add to that a mixed colored flock and guess what u have no clue what will hatch and who is throwing what or why it's another reason "hard core breeders" raise and breed their birds's to the standards.

Yes, I just hatched a clutch of Peekaboo Silkies for this purpose- wowzers she has gorgeous birds! I had to have some for my flock!
smile.png

I just bought a pair of SG with Hattrick lines off eggbid- spent about $120 some odd dollars to get them, but I can't imagine how many eggs I'd have to buy and hatch to finally end up with the incredible quality this pair has! :0) I still think hatching eggs is great fun, but if you're really looking for something specific and fairly rare, you might want to consider springing for one already hatched and raised, ready for breeding

Regarding breeders. Well, most "established" breeders will say that once the birds or eggs leave their property and you introduce them into your flock. Those birds/eggs are yours. To quote a VERY "established" breeder. If you see my name being "pimped" on birds or eggs for sale on the net and their not by me, You really need to ask the question WHY!?

I asked the breeder what lines were in the pair, acutally. She didn't advertise them that way. My goal is to improve topknot quality in my flock so I like to know what lines I'm breeding to.
cool.png

to answer cindy, the bowtied ones as is in my avi is what is desired cuz the others look like baby dinasaures. they do not produce as nice of babies as i'd like but both r wonderful for breeding and ea has their own attributes. either is fine and a preferance just as bearded and non bearded is a preferance. yes it is clear at hatch who is who.
Silkie

People like the dinosaur ones b/c they're the homozygous type and will be more likely to produce showgirls as offspring when crossed with Silkies. That's why I like them, anyway.
cool.png

Last edited:
yes that was a typo i got a migraine/contacts keep drying and can't see or think.
roll.png

i thought my thread was to sell MY eggs since the girls r laying to much and i didn't want to have to set eggs tonight to winter babies which ended up to be about 5dz
ep.gif
(thanks guys!!
tongue.gif
). which i ended up haveing to do anyways, mike is gonna kill me!!
gig.gif

burntumber,
i'm curious as to why the need to thread hyjack and brag up ur personal stock and the need to answer others as to how MY stock is bred. also as to why u r reffering others to several other breeders???
idunno.gif
i'm not trying to be ignorant or mean but personally i feel that is very rude and very much unprofessional as a breeder!! i posted this in need for others to buy or trade eggs with ME not for u to do these things to gain sales for u or others.
hu.gif

u already know my email addy if u wish to talk off forum to disscuse something with me again, k.
wink.png
have a nice night and please refrain urself from posting on my threads or posts anymore i would greatly apprecciate it!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well, thats because you are a threat with those gorgeous birds you tempt me with so often!
smile.png

Tell Mike not to kill you- you have to be around to sell me more eggs in the spring. I miss my all boy -naked neck, bearded, bowtie crew...and besides, you owe me a girl
tongue.png

Pictures are worth a thousand words, and these are from your eggs-

turkenbabies139.jpg

turkenbabies169.jpg

turkenbabies141.jpg

Quote:
Whoa Nelly! Seesh! LOL!
lol.png
It was just my (inept) attempt to help.
lol.png
All I was trying to do was inform someone who seems new to Showigirls that homozygous chicks are pretty hard to come by (which I was thinking that most SG breeder might like the general populous to know how valuable they are- right?)

I'd never dis another person's flock or try to explain how someone else breeds.
cool.png
I think if I'd had evil intentions I wouldn've emailed the person privately. I'm too busy working on improving my own gig to worry about other people's. LOL!
lol.png
I like to breed for blues and splash, which most understand requires a mixed color flock. (I admit I have two buffs in there b/c they've become pets to me- I tend to get attached to my kids. Still, they're of excellant quality and extremely friendly.)

I was actually just trying to help out, join forces as a fellow SG breeder.
smile.png
And my reply to you was just to clarify my points.

My bad! Won't happen again! I promise!
cool.png

Sincere appologies!
smile.png
Please forgive.
big_smile.png

I'm sure you'll sell your eggs- you have gorgeous birds. You have absolutely no reason to worry.
cool.png

P.S. I'm done selling eggs until Spring (too cold to ship - I have a satisfaction guarantee on my hatch rates) so the floor is all yours for sales.
cool.png
smile.png
big_smile.png

*backs quietly out of the room to mind her own biz*

Last edited:
Hey Silkie...you've got a PM...
just always remember the reply honey.
It's unfortunate you feel that way!!!!!!!!!
wink.png

Big sister T

mom,
i totally agree, all i'm gonna say is it didn't start getting personal till i refused to trade or sell to several people but i don't play games and drama is not my thing.
roll.png

i'm still alive, rotfl. don't worry mike would never do that i was teaseing. he actually didn't say a word about it other than if there is buffs and seramas i BETTER be setting them, i said alright but i got others to set too, hehe if he only knew how many i set. no worries u'll get ur girl/s even if i gotta hatch em and ship them.
wink.png
we'll get u them one way or another,lol.
big_smile.png

beautiful youngsters thanks for shareing the pics love that sg roo on top he looks just like his dad but with a better vault, very nice addition to see. they r all very beautiful just wish they all hadn't been roos,lol.

T,
hey sis!!! got ur pm and sent ya one back.

as to the eggs and tradeing if anyone still is looking for eggs just pm me or email me it's easier than dealing with drama. any question r welcome also just ask.
thanks,
silkie

ok, bottom pic, what color is the one on the far right? do you have any of these? Looks a little dark for a buff?

actually i've been wondering that myself,lol. i have them in the partridge pen. i'm not the origional breeder of them so i'm not for sure. as they get older i'm wondering if they are ginger reds by the look of them and the babies but when younger they looked partridge.

i have to restart my comp but if u want me to post more pics of them i can once i reboot. if they r indeed reds i'll be seperateing them. i do not have buff showgirls yet but working on it for next year.

Back
Top Bottom