Hatching eggs with antibiotics

That’s why I was thinking it looked more like unabsorbed yolk because it’s so luch. How is he?
It didn't make it😔 honestly because it was so much I didn't think it would. It made me sad but a little relieved at the same time that it's not in pain and it won't have a struggle in its adult life. Also I can't bring myself to cull a chicken even though I know sometimes it's the humane thing to do. I usually make my other half do it but idk how even he would handle having to do a chick. I've got another one that pipped so fingers crossed this one can make it. Do you think because of the meds the hen was on I'll have to help all of them? This chick did unzip itself through the membrane and hatch about 24 hrs after it pipped.

Keep watching this one and again if it doesn’t make the progress like it should you’ll have to help this one as well. I would put your hen on probiotics that should help her produce good eggs
I did mix some save a chick probiotic in their water as well. I always keep electrolytes in their bottle waterers and the ducks water bowls when I changed the water I put in both. I've also got some poultry booster in my feed which is a mix of chicken layer feed and duck food. I just checked this next egg that I noticed pipped when I helped the other one about 1030 yesterday morning. It looks like it's starting to move along.

That’s good! Maybe this one will hatch on his own but keep a close eye on it

That’s good! Maybe this one will hatch on his own but keep a close eye on it
I'm supposed to be out working with the horses but this has got my anxiety way up. I don't think it'll be long now though. Hopefully it gets out unscathed

Attachments

• 20220707_081552.jpg
    20220707_081552.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 2
I'm supposed to be out working with the horses but this has got my anxiety way up. I don't think it'll be long now though. Hopefully it gets out unscathed
Aaaand we're all done!😅 everything looks to be in all the right spots this time

Attachments

• 20220707_082706.jpg
    20220707_082706.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220707_082730.jpg
    20220707_082730.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 2
Just curious if anyone has ever hatched eggs from a hen that was on antibiotics. I can't remember the name but one was for pain for bumblefoot and the other was for swelling. Since we wont eat those eggs I figured I'd at least try to hatch them. She's a blue orpington and lays light blue eggs that are impossible to see into when candling but I think most where fertile because as time went on I could see the air sac and the rest if the egg was even darker than when I checked on say day 5. I got one little chick that hatched and one that made a good size pip looked like it was starting to unzip and when I checked again it was dead. It was my first time doing a dry hatch so my humidity was 20-30% and then 60-65% at lockdown. I see no movement in the other eggs but its day 2 of lockdown. I'm curious if anyone else has tried incubating eggs from a hen on antibiotics and what were your results? I've got more eggs from this same hen I have to hold her eggs until the 10th of this month and I'd rather try to hatch Instead of just tossing them.
How long ago was she on these antibiotics?

She started them may 31st and it was for 2 weeks and withdrawal eggs for a total of 6 weeks.

Is she on probiotics? Antibiotics can definitely cause those issues with the little chicks inside the egg and if anymore hatch they’ll probably need help hatching hearing your experience with the one.

I’
Not probiotics but I have electrolytes in their waterers, poultry booster in the mix of chicken and duck food and nutritional yeast in the ducklings food for vitamin b I'm sure they all eat each others food. I've got another one thats pipped, I did make sure the hole was large enough for it to get air and I planned on helping it unzip if it doesn't make progress by tonight. I noticed it pipped about 10pm last night but I'm not sure how long before I noticed it that it actually pipped

You’re probably going to have to help it. And I’d put her on some probiotics, I’ve heard it helps!!

Back
Top Bottom