Hatching Eggs

They are the 6 littles, can you sex them?
20220517_100412.jpg

The extra will probably end up at Freezer Camp. It's the reality of running a homestead withthe goal of becoming self-sufficient.
That's great.. I was under the impression maybe it wasn't an option due to the current ratio concerns.
'As day olds, sex can be determined based on bill colour with over 90% accuracy. Young drakes will have darker bills while female with have lighter with a dark spot at the tip of the bill.'
This disappears withing a few days of hatching.. and may only be valid if the line were selected to maintain this quality.

https://saltinmycoffee.com/how-to-sex-welsh-harlequin-ducklings/

FWIW.. (and by that, I mean all the fun) the chocolate gene is also sex linked.. and will produce sexable ducklings at hatch.. chocolate drake over other colored female equals chocolate female offspring. It's possible (or I've read) that a buff drake also works this way.

Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy

So I go pick up my eggs in about an hour or so. I have read on here that I should let them rest for 24 hours before plopping them in the incubator?
I think that’s typical for shipped eggs.

This is just my opinion, if you’re picking them up and they didn’t get much movement I would say you don’t need to rest for 24 hours.

But you already know exactly what you have right now.

What will you do with all the extra drakes that hatch?

Whu not just buy sexed duckling already.. maybe Metzer is able to export to Canada.
Metzer would be way too expensive. I'm not working right now and have very limited funds. I'm able to get these eggs for $10, plus my gas and travel time.

The extra will probably end up at Freezer Camp. It's the reality of running a homestead withthe goal of becoming self-sufficient.

Main reason I chose the Welsh Harlequins is for egg production, plus that I like their looks.

Good luck with telling them apart as hatchlings. I just hatched some a few months ago and it was weeks before they looked different.
Really? Wow.

'As day olds, sex can be determined based on bill colour with over 90% accuracy. Young drakes will have darker bills while female with have lighter with a dark spot at the tip of the bill.'

This is what I was basing it on. I can't really tell from your picture, since they're facing away and it's a bit blurry. They are all adorable, though?

Worse comes to worse, I raise them until I can tell, then go from there. Thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom