Hatching Eggs

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
*sigh* So the four 'hens' I got turned out to be two hens and two drakes. So that means eight drakes and five hens. NOT GOOD! These are the mallard-derived ducks, not the Muscovy.

Solution? Tomorrow I pick up two dozen Welsh Harlequin eggs to hatch out! Yes, you read that right. Two DOZEN. 24. If figure that with this amount, I'm guaranteed a few hens, right? Right?!? And since they can be sexed as hatchlings, I'll know exactly what I have right away! I also figure that even if they don't all hatch, even if it's only 50%, I'll still get the hens I want/need.

I know it's getting late in the season for it, but we usually have decent weather here, during the day, until late October and sometimes beyond. They should be feathered out by then.

Just had to share. :)

Drake- dark bill
A20849D5-9443-4311-BCA6-E05BC779A789.jpeg

Female- dark tipped bill
27AABBB8-C2D8-4A78-8D3B-2283E144724C.jpeg

This method only works the first 3 days or so of life

*sigh* So the four 'hens' I got turned out to be two hens and two drakes. So that means eight drakes and five hens. NOT GOOD! These are the mallard-derived ducks, not the Muscovy.

Solution? Tomorrow I pick up two dozen Welsh Harlequin eggs to hatch out! Yes, you read that right. Two DOZEN. 24. If figure that with this amount, I'm guaranteed a few hens, right? Right?!? And since they can be sexed as hatchlings, I'll know exactly what I have right away! I also figure that even if they don't all hatch, even if it's only 50%, I'll still get the hens I want/need.

I know it's getting late in the season for it, but we usually have decent weather here, during the day, until late October and sometimes beyond. They should be feathered out by then.

Just had to share. :)
Excited to follow this! We hatched welshies this spring but didn’t have a great hatch rate, they were shipped eggs. Sounds like yours are local?

As far as the bill method it seemed pretty accurate for us, there was only one I wasn’t sure about.

Excited to follow this! We hatched welshies this spring but didn’t have a great hatch rate, they were shipped eggs. Sounds like yours are local?

As far as the bill method it seemed pretty accurate for us, there was only one I wasn’t sure about.
As local as living in the middle of nowhere can be, yes! Lol! That's why I'm getting 24, in case the hatch rate is low. Or I mess something up. With my luck this year, it wouldn't surprise me >.>

Getting my incubator ready. Hopefully in a month's time, I'll be going crazy with the sound of chirping.

Back
Top Bottom