Hatching emu eggs

Branddii

Chirping
Mar 30, 2021
Hi guys, looking for a bit of help. I’m a first time Emu hatching mama. I set 4 eggs in the bator and day 38 confirmed all 4 are wiggling. I’m on day 42. Now my questions.

1- when should I stop the auto turner? Temp has been steady at 97.5

2- i started them at 30% humidity but they have already lost 15% weight at day 42, so I upped humidity a bit, is this going to be a problem?
Any tips, thoughts and experience would be awesome.

1- when should I stop the auto turner? Temp has been steady at 97.5

I always stop turning when I hear them internally pipped. Usually that's a few days before the expected hatch date.

2- i started them at 30% humidity but they have already lost 15% weight at day 42, so I upped humidity a bit, is this going to be a problem?

That should be fine. With the temperature you were using they should hatch at around 50 days, so hatch day should be pretty close anyways :)

I always stop turning when I hear them internally pipped. Usually that's a few days before the expected hatch date.

That should be fine. With the temperature you were using they should hatch at around 50 days, so hatch day should be pretty close anyways :)
Thank you so much. One pipped yesterday morning and is still working at hatching out. Do they take longer than chickens to hatch fully?

Thank you so much. One pipped yesterday morning and is still working at hatching out. Do they take longer than chickens to hatch fully?

Yes, they can take a bit of time. They also don't zip like chickens do. They just shove against the shell until it breaks open.

Yes, they can take a bit of time. They also don't zip like chickens do. They just shove against the shell until it breaks open.
Ok good to know, I was wondering why it hadn’t zipped properly. The first one is out. The others have not pipped yet, but are wiggling. Day 52

Back
Top Bottom