hatching geese eggs

Hi All

Got another night of watching over a problamatic egg that has its air cell abnormally positioned on its side
hmm.png
Watch this space!

Had a productive day and heard the 'The Incubation Guide' is published in June here in the UK and now have interest from Backyard Poultry magazine over in the States
big_smile.png

Finally worked out how to edit my 'BYC Blog Page' so please take a look and tell me what you think. I've provided links to the key threads I've posted. Also followed Balbinka's example and produced the Breed Profile for Dewlap Toulouse
smile.png
Just to finish the night I think its time to change and update my Avatar.

Pete
wink.png

Macagni-thanks!!

If were gonna talk weather here ya go. Due to extremely wet winter, snow melt etc the rivers are all rising and flooding, especially the Mississippi. My moms house which is behind the river levee is built on 13 ft stilts so that in case of flooding they will remian safe. We've always been told that the levee would break before water got in the house. Well by the 13th there will be 1 ft of water in the house and that is the predicted crest. Talk about busy. Yard full of chickens, milk goats etc. Moved them all to a little piece of property they have about 3 miles up the rd, outside the levee. Then blocking up all the furniture because the original predicted crest put the water almost 7 feet below the house so no furniture was moved.
Now plenty of other small towns the water has already come over the levee and they have actually blown the levee in farmland area to save other towns at the expense of the farmers crops. It's ugly!

Here's the thread that my mom started for her house.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491916

Pete good luck on the sleepless night with the "problem child" and congrats on the pending publication and probable multiple publications!!

Last edited:
Hi Buffbeauty

I've just taken a look at your poor Mom's thread and its shocking
hmm.png
Of course we dont really appreciate the problem over in the States but when the Levee failed in New Orleans it was shocking and was followed closely by our news channels here in the UK. The seasons are so strange over the past few years and we dont get much snow in the south of England yet last December was SEVERE for weeks on end. Then an early Spring which is more like Summer. Its all topsy turvy! I do hope your Mom's situation improves very soon.

Pete
wink.png

My babies got evicted out of my spare room today over into the duck house. They are in this room just now and when they are older the ducklings will move out and they will sleep in the hallway and this will be the goose room.

evicted003.jpg

evicted002.jpg

evicted001.jpg

Pete I need help and advise.

My little African by the way was unable to turn after pipping so I assisted her out this morning around 7 am... she is darling and looking good and fluffed off tonite.
She was ready to be OUT of there, but was unable to turn, the membrane being stuck to her lil fuzz. No blood or anything on her so I went ahead and helped out, using your cotton swab gently method, good advice by the way, cotton swab works much better than just using my finger to moisten like before. lol

Ok, my prob is...my bator was raunchy, had a bad egg somewhere. Found two eggs, one was leaking and one had been leaked on, so wasnt sure which was which.

Opened the egg that I thought was bad, carefully, I always try to check to see what happened or dont want to accidentally throw a baby away.

Well, the first one I opened the baby is still in there moving, under the unbroken membrane. I wents major OOOOPS, moistened the membrane and covered her with the end of another shell that I had a small pip in. There was a lot of blood vessels yet that I could see when I moistened the membrane. Does she stand any chance at all and did I do the right thing, and where do I go from here? She obviously is not ready yet, even tho this would be the start of day 30.
sad.png

The bad egg was the one right beside her, a quitter from about the 2nd week, peeeeuuuu! This is another lil african gosling, put in the bator the same time as the other. I had candled first and didnt see any shadowing at all in it before opening.
sad.png

Quote:
Nice set up Nik! They look very happy. Question: Are you separating them when they are older because they don't do well together or for some other reason. i was planning on raising Kermit with the ducks but perhaps I shouldn't? Nice pic of yourself by the way!

Good luck with the wonky egg Pete. BuffBeauty: My best wishes to you and your Mum, I can't imagine how scary that must be.

I have 4 pips with the duck eggs as of this morning - hopefully will see some action today! have a good day everyone!

Back
Top Bottom