hatching geese eggs

Thndrdncr - or however you spell it ha - congrats on the new baby! Hope the other one does as well.

Highlander - love the new avatar. Soo cute!! Thanks btw. I don't live near there anymore about an hour and a half away which makes it hard to help much with juggling kids to school etc and work. The folks are taking it in stride but I'm sure stressed out even though hey don't show it. Good luck on your four that are due!

My babies are 2 weeks and 1 week old now. I've been keeping them in the house with me because the mom is sitting on a clutch of 5. I'll try to introduce these once the others hatch. I have a question though. Their poop has had a sort of moldy smell since they hatched. This morning, the 2 week old pooped and it was FOUL. I mean, REALLY FOUL. Do they get stinkier as they get older or is she sick or ate something she shouldnt have?

My 2 lots of adult ducks are split up as well. I have a back room split into 2, Pekins on 1 side Runners on the other. When these runners are older I will put a penciled drake and what ever females I get in with the big Runners but the whites will all stay together for breeding to. I sell my fetile eggs so thats why they are all split up. Im hoping I can get 1 male and 4 or 5 females of silvery/lav, what ever you call it out of my ducks this year so that come next year I can sell them too. I like the paler coloured ducks with the dark beaks, so we will see how it goes and hopefully I can get a batch up and raised for breedign next year. So, next year I will have Pekins, mixed Runner colour, whites and silver/lav. If I didnt have this house to keep the ducks in I probably wouldnt have this many ducks or groups of ducks, oh yeah and the geese will be separated out just because come breeding season next year. Im hopeing I have 2 pairs...someone has to be possitive right
lol.png

Does anyone have any suggestions? I moistened membrane again, baby is barely moving and shrink wrap so cant break thru even if it were time. How do I tell where the beak is to pip air, I will be gone most of the day, darnit and so wont be able to monitor, and I think baby is at end of its rope/oxygen wise.

Still a lot of blood vessels.
sad.png

Quote:
love your duck house i think i would be in heaven. must make feeding and cleaning easier. are you fixing up outside too? i remember you post pics of out side for got what it looked like too. just remember i loved it.

got lucky at auction a week ago got to really nice white crested runners at auction. they stand real upright compared to my drake. to top it off both are females and i only paid 5.00 each. they are 3-4 months old. their crestes are on small side but i like they stand more upright i can work on size of crests next year.

all 4 of my chinese eggs are doing good on day 12. cant wait to find out if the white is dominant or recessive.

oh had wonderful mothers day got red fox #1 no more free meals for her. i lost 3 fawn and white female runners and 2 white geese female to the foxes in 12 days.

everyone goslings are beautiful hoping for everyone to hatch pairs!!!!!!

68930_100_2928.jpg

was so proud he did his deed of the day was a perfect mothers day present

Last edited:
I lost her.
sad.png
She was still moving but barely as I opened the membrane but I couldnt get her head up to get air fast enough, and she drowned about two minutes before. I didnt have much hope as I have never ever been able to save a chick the hadnt broken the membrane yet, so figured a goose would be that much harder.
sad.png

Also bad news, upping the humidity...I had two ducklings moving last night at 2 am and I didnt manually pip and I should have, as they have been shadowing for three days now.
They had drowned in the shell after internally pipping and so had one gosling.
sad.png

The good news is I have one AFrican, 3 WH ducklings and one sebright pipping at this moment. They were all due same time but must have some hot and cool spots and upping the humidity for the hot spot ones killed the later ones. Kinda sad but didnt do too bad. Feel horrible bout the ducklings tho, I noticed them at 2 am and didnt do anything as I was so tired then by 8 am they had internally pipped and drowned in shell. First time I have had eggs all due at same time and the hatch varied by that many days.

Last edited:
Hi All

Thndrdncr - so sorry I wasnt around to help but been at work all day. To be honest if a gosling has not lifted its head from between its legs and got its beak pointed toward the air cell then there's little you can do. Usually these late goslings are already weakened and in my experience have lost insufficent moisture. They are weakened and already in cariac failure. A sad loss but not your fault as I think inevitable. However - CONGRATULATIONS on getting a healthy gosling
big_smile.png

Critterranch - well done and good shot on getting that darn fox. Thats one less predator to plague your poultry! Also good luck with your Chinese eggs - almost halfway now. Did you mate a white gander to a grey goose or the other way around? Let me know and I'll try and work out your predicated colours for you
wink.png

And finally - the egg with the air cell located on its side was problematic but with some assistance hatched this morning and is drying out nicely before joining the older ones tomorrow
big_smile.png

80310_aircell-slant-hatch.jpg

Pete
wink.png

i mated white chinese gander to brown chinese female. only female i have left is the brown. 2 are from this mating and 2 are pure white chinese. do you know if the white in chinese geese is domminant or recessive?

Thnxrdancr- congrats on new baby!! Sorry bout the other one.

Critter - congrats on the, er, trophy. Heehee

Pete - congrats on "your problem child"

The four first eggs will begin upright rocking today. Here's hoping for the best.

Back
Top Bottom