hatching geese eggs

Hi Nicky

You'll have to post some pictures of them developing. As I have no Sebastopols Im unable to answer your question. However I do hang out on the Sebastopol Geese Lovers forum. The Administrator CottageRose is very knowledgable and friendly. She's also here on this forum too. I would drop her a PM
smile.png

Thanks Buffbeauty - hows those eggs of yours coming along?

Pete
wink.png

Thanks for asking Pete. Of the Toulouse eggs, I think I have 3 developing. 2 for sure the other still iffy but as you said if it's developing under the aircell it may not be apparent. The fourth egg I'm pretty sure is a clear but I haven't pulled it yet. The aircells seem kind of large already. They are on day 9. The dewlaps are day six and I can't tell if they are developing. They are darker inside but no obvious veining yet so I'll continue to watch them.
Here's pic of aircells on Toulouse. Day 9.
57451_img_0950.jpg

Yes, these eggs are in the hovabator. Since the dewlap eggs didn't arrive until several days later I had set these already in the brinsea but then moved them to hogs to make room for dewlaps. And so I could start turning them. The dewlaps start turning tonight so I may move the Toulouse back to the brinsea if there is room. Temps been running about 37.3 and humidity about 28-30%. Here in the south it will probably br harder to get it lower but I have been cooling and misting so hopefully that will help.

I took this pic real quick with my phone so not the best also Darlene the aircell line to make it more visible.

Thanks everyone,

Pete, the gosling is out of the shell, came out last night and has been in the hatcher all day, the unabsorbed egg balloon has gone down slightly but not a lot, is now getting very upset on it's own so have set it up in the brooder with the others but seperated, hoping it will rest and absorb the rest, is it likely to burst and is so what will happen?
sad.png

Hi maria

The yolk will dry and shrivel if it does burst then a sticky mess but it should shrivel and dry to a scab.

Our day's been quite good, Buff Dewlap egg internally pipped, The Rouen hatched and got another clutch of 7 tortoise eggs to put in incubator
lol.png

80310_tortfertile17.jpg

A baby tortoise at 17 days. The embryo is upside down and the dark dot of the eye can be seen! It also moves on candling.

80310_tortincubator.jpg

We're beginning to fill up the reptile incubator with another clutch of tortoise eggs.

80310_rouenhatchling.jpg

The baby Rouen just drying out.

Pete
wink.png

Last edited:
Busy is the word!!!

Took eggs from our Blue & Gold macaws and our Greenwing Macaws. Clutch of 3 eggs each and all fertile.

Got Dewlap and first Macaw due tomorrow and Im working this weekend!

Pete
wink.png

Just been out and taken some photos of the goslings.

Leap...from the biggest egg and last to appear and is now the smallest of the bunch.
may2011010.jpg

Inka in the back and Juno. Junos feathers are coming in a very pale lilac colour. Its very pretty but dont know what colour she will be when grown and also has 3 black spots on her side. Answers on a post card!!
may2011016.jpg

Runner, Leap and Moon
may2011020.jpg

Juno..you can see the colour just at the top of her legs where its feathered out
may2011022.jpg

Congrats on the new goslings! I have a question in regards to mine. I tried putting 5 eggs in the incubator, but only two hatched, and only one of those two survived. And I have to stop and say I am in love with the little darling!
69642_100_1675.jpg

But, my female Chinese goose has been dedicatedly sitting on a nest of 5 eggs since April 11. It has now been 33 days. I have been doing a lot of reading and most say it can take up to 28 - 30 days. How long should I let her sit on the nest? Until she gives up on her own? Should I try to interfere and take the eggs? I am reasonably sure that the eggs were fertile. The two that hatched in my incubator needed assistance. I ended up carefully peeling the shells from them after 24 hours of no progress. One gosling was malformed, the other like I said is perfect. I checked the other eggs after a couple more days and found that there was dead goslings. I felt terrible for them. I wondered if they too had not been able to get free of the shells. I read in several forums that that is not uncommon for goose eggs that are hatched in a man made enviroment. Now I worry about hers. I am afraid that perhaps I should have already checked and tried to see if they needed assistance. Or now is it too late? I have not attempted to candle them because I have also read that if you disturb a goose on her nest that she may abandon them.
69642_100_1693.jpg

Last edited:
Gofaster - super cute babies.

Worryhorse - I'm sure when Pete gets back on or one of the "seasoned" hatchers they'll be able to answer for you! Beautiful momma though!

Last edited:
Hi All

Just in from work so been busy over weekend so I'll do more posts tomorrow and answer a few questions.

Had to share this unique photo with you as dont think you're likely to see this again.

80310_bg-dewlap-hatch.jpg

A Dewlap Toulouse and Blue & Gold Macaw hatch simultaneously!!!

Very pleased with this hatch as our first Macaw of the season and the first Dewlap hatchling from our new Buff female
celebrate.gif

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom