hatching geese eggs

Hi All

Well all's good here in the UK. Our goslings that featured in the incubation diary are a month old now and are already developing early dewlaps and keels so we're very pleased with them as they're from our Holderread x Buff.

We also got another 4 Dewlaps from our Buff girl which all hatched just before the weekend. I expected one to hatch soon after the first two but it seemed to be delayed. In fact it hatched last and was the only one which required assistance. Once hatched it appeared to be 'star-gazing' and flipping backwards. The skull looked a little off-centre and probably due to being in the egg beyond its optimum hatching time. I put it in a rearing unit supported with soft toys. The next day the signs subsided and improved further once I got it drinking. Its now perfectly healthy and active so I can only put it down to some cerebral swelling on hatching.

80310_goslings_20-5-11.jpg

Our latest Dewlaps and any males will be split for Buff

Our other good news was the baby Macaws. We hatched all the eggs and now have 3 baby Blue & Golds, and 3 baby Greenwing Macaws. They're only about 21 grams when born and take 3-4 months to hand rear so we're now on 2 hourly feeds! The Dewlaps are a lot easier to rear!!!

80310_sdc14329.jpg

The 6 baby macaws all wanting feeding!!!

Pete
wink.png

When we were in college many many moons ago, I used to help a gal with rescued macaws. Her name was stumpy or at least that was what we called her as she was missing a couple fingers. Wonderful birds and so beautiful...awwww if I only had more time..
duc.gif
I think DH might have just given me the "stink eye" with that comment.
smack.gif
He obviously doesnt want me to take anything more on.
big_smile.png
I think I might just have a gosling sale! Seems like I have plenty to share and will NEVER put that many in the incubator AGAIN!!

Quote:
Hi Bookerdog, great pics, no wonder you've been busy, I seem to be ferrying gosling all over at the mo and I've got nowhere near as many, thanks for sharing!
I want to know how Pete can tell males from females just by looking at the pics??

great pics everyone !!!i well i am in to lockdown starting this moring on day 27. with 3 eggs 1 egg was a quitter around 15-18 days.

i have one pure white chinese egg and two of the brown chinese female mated to white chinese gander.

so cant wait to see what color the two brown ones turn out to be.

i did not cool at all this time other than the 3 times a day turning and once a night candling. no misting either. have been much too busy to do anything so i thought just go with see what happens.

well this hatch has been totally dry i let the humdity flex naturally just to see what happens. well so far so good it ranged from 30-65% it changed daily here as did the weather we went cold hot wet cold hot wet. lol humdity in the house is running 60-80% . i put a 1/4 cup of water in to wells and my humdity is 65% for lockdown.

my brown chinese also went broody a few days ago so i will have more of theses buggers. she is sitting really good on 4 eggs.

hopefully i will have pics for evey one in a few days.

Critteranch do you use an LG...if you do will you pm or email ducklover1 and tell him how your getting good hatches. Hes over in the duck gp on Face book, I htink you are in there too. Hes having a hell of a time hatching stuff out, so if you have an LG could you give him some tips please.
Oh and Good Luck with your eggs...
fl.gif

Hi All

Our eldest Dewlap Toulouse are 5 weeks now and growing so fast. Already the embryo which featured in our 'Incubation Diary' (Waldo) is showing good size, dewlap and keel development. Very pleased as he's carrying the Buff gene. This year, all the goslings sired by our Holderread male appear to be the best goslings for size and promise of good type compared to our other lines.

Pete
wink.png

80310_sdc14366.jpg

Dewlap Toulouse at 5 weeks and already showing good size, keel and dewlap development.

80310_sdc14362.jpg

Dewlap goslings at 5 and 3 weeks old with their father and foster mom.

Back
Top Bottom