Hatching Grocery store eggs attempt

I wonder why the one chick is barred. I didn’t see any breed that looked like it would produce barred chicks. It makes me really wonder what the father is.
You mean this one?

Could have a Cuckoo Marans parent.

Or a Cream Legbar parent (barring), with the other parent being Black Copper Marans or some other mostly-black breed.

That's if the eggs really were Marans and Legbar, but since the photos don't entirely match the text description, and neither really matches the chicks, there is certainly room for questioning!

I'm assuming the father was a "female" that was mis-sexed, or else a male that got over the fence from somewhere.

You mean this one?

Or a Cream Legbar parent (barring), with the other parent being Black Copper Marans or some other mostly-black breed.

That's if the eggs really were Marans and Legbar, but since the photos don't entirely match the text description, and neither really matches the chicks, there is certainly room for questioning!

I'm assuming the father was a "female" that was mis-sexed, or else a male that got over the fence from somewhere.
Yes that one. They do have something that I assume has legbar in it (they call it speckled legbar) but I don’t know what all it has in it. Maybe it is supposed to be an autosexing breed and it was one that was bred incorrectly (like sex link x sex link) that’s my theory of what it is. That may also explain the variety in colors.

I want to make one from a cooler to use alongside one I bought off E Bay for about 50 bucks. The experience of hand-monitoring and turning will be an adventure I think...but I don't think I'll do a computer fan...will attempt some natural circulation with vents. They both may get set into a large cooler or cardboard box for a bit of a controlled environment.
Originally I did not have a fan in my cooler incubator but even though I have several holes there were cool spots and hot spots. I did add a fan. Much better. I also added a turner. The original had one bulb as a heat source. It burned out once during a hatch. I modified it and put two bulbs in it. The original also had a dimmer switch to help regulate the heat, but fluctuated too much so I put a wafer thermostat in. In my cabinet incubator I took out the wafer thermostat and put in an electronic thermostat. I have had a bulb burn out since I put the two bulbs in but the temperature stayed good. I rarely incubate in it anymore but do still use it as a hatcher. Good luck and have fun...

Attachments

• 2013-04-13 10.15.20.jpg
    2013-04-13 10.15.20.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3360.JPG
    IMG_3360.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3046.JPG
    IMG_3046.JPG
    554.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    478.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3675.JPG
    IMG_3675.JPG
    651.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4000.JPG
    IMG_4000.JPG
    576.6 KB · Views: 19
Fertile eggs and infertile ones look identical when you candle them.

If you incubate them for a week or so, then you can tell them apart because the fertile ones have a noticeable amount of growth. (But by then you may not want to eat the infertile ones.)

It's possible to crack the egg open and look at the yolk to see if it's fertile (they all have a white spot, but it is said to look like a bullseye if fertile, not if i's not.) But then of course you cannot incubate that particular egg.

It's a frustrating dilemma--there is no way to sort fertile from infertile that lets you incubate the fertile ones and also eat the infertile ones.
True.

Attachments

• FertileEggPIx.jpg
    FertileEggPIx.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 19
  • INFertileEggPic.jpg
    INFertileEggPic.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 18
You mean this one?

Yeah it’s interesting and totally agree with the last sentence!

Back
Top Bottom