Hatching Guinea keets... Questions

Wow! Well, I am really impressed!! Good for you!
The ones in the pic were built out of some-what used plywood and some things I had laying around---had to order a few things. I built the turner, and used a rotisserie turning motor to start with to turn it. Had to change that because it was not strong enough the way it was set-up to turn 288 eggs. I could have re-geared it, but decided to just order a good motor.

Hatching on day 25 sounds as though the heat was a little to hot, but then the rest on day 28/29??? Uneven heat maybe??

Let me tell you quickly what I do. I set the humidity at about 30/35%---never any higher for the incubation, then I raise it to about 80% for the hatch. With some of the built in meters----49% humidity drowns a lot of chicks before they hatch because they are usually off. I Know my temp meters are correct or corrected because I set/mark them by the hatch length/days. If the eggs hatch on time---I mark them by what they are reading, no mater if its 98 or 101. My guinea eggs and chicken eggs usually always hatch on time. I do not have some hatch days apart? I never open my incubators during the lock down---for Nothing. Others do---and they can if they want---I just know what works for me and Opening during lock-down always caused a disaster.
It does sound like uneven heat, doesn't it. I think I need a better incubator. I'm not as handy as you are! My husband is really into his birds, so I bet he would be willing to tackle making one. LOL Thanks for all your time and info. I do appreciate your help! Have a good week!

The ones in the pic were built out of some-what used plywood and some things I had laying around---had to order a few things. I built the turner, and used a rotisserie turning motor to start with to turn it. Had to change that because it was not strong enough the way it was set-up to turn 288 eggs. I could have re-geared it, but decided to just order a good motor.
That is really impressive. It must be very rewarding to build something like this, and watch all those chicks hatch! Amazing.

Okay, so I have had nothing else hatch since Sunday, yesterday was the actual hatch day (#28) How much longer should I wait? I have opened and removed the 3 that hatched because they seemed a little frantic by Monday night and were pecking each other.
Should I open the bator and candle the remaining eggs?
Should I just assume they are non-viable and dispose of them?
Should I wait another day and see what happens?
I don't see and wiggles and don't hear any peeping but then I never noticed wiggling and peeping with the 3 that hatched.:confused:

Okay, so I have had nothing else hatch since Sunday, yesterday was the actual hatch day (#28) How much longer should I wait? I have opened and removed the 3 that hatched because they seemed a little frantic by Monday night and were pecking each other.
Should I open the bator and candle the remaining eggs?
Should I just assume they are non-viable and dispose of them?
Should I wait another day and see what happens?
I don't see and wiggles and don't hear any peeping but then I never noticed wiggling and peeping with the 3 that hatched.:confused:
I usually wait until the day after the due date and decide. Some wait several days after??

If you have a bright enough light you can candle them and see if they're dead, or put them to your ear and see if any are tapping or peeping. I do open my incubator during hatch but I keep a spray bottle full of warm water and spritz a bit into the incubator before I shut it to keep humidity up. I use a 56-egg Chinese clear top incubator and a TSC full auto Farm innovators, usually just for a hatcher. I hatched hundreds last year but not so many this year since I downsized my flock and only have two adult hens now. It can take a couple hatches to get the hang of them. The sweet spot for me was ~40% humidity during incubation and ~75% for hatching and I was getting 100% hatches, collecting eggs daily and setting them every ten days. It was good supplemental income, hatching two dozen every ten days and selling them for about $4 each.

It does sound like uneven heat, doesn't it. I think I need a better incubator. I'm not as handy as you are! My husband is really into his birds, so I bet he would be willing to tackle making one. LOL Thanks for all your time and info. I do appreciate your help! Have a good week!
I just found what I think is a fairly good but reasonable priced battery. About $125.00 all automatic. Check out Zalora on line. Mine is foam on the exterior but the plastic inside so it seems to keep a more even heat. It is a 96 capacity.

Back
Top Bottom