Hatching help

If it's not bleeding, it can probably be saved. But the hen usually will crush it further, so you probably want to take it.

How cracked is it? Can you post a picture?

If you're of the female persuasion, you may be able to stick it in your bra and carry it around for a few hours. That's what I generally do.

You can also rig up a closed incubator, but that can be a bit complicated depending on your available heat sources and equipment. You'll need a heat source, about 60-70% humidity (if you're below that, use a sponge full of water on a plate) and a box. I have used an upturned lamp as a heat source, and I've used a hot water bottle. There's no need to be picky.

If it's not bleeding, it can probably be saved. But the hen usually will crush it further, so you probably want to take it.

How cracked is it? Can you post a picture?

If you're of the female persuasion, you may be able to stick it in your bra and carry it around for a few hours. That's what I generally do.

You can also rig up a closed incubator, but that can be a bit complicated depending on your available heat sources and equipment. You'll need a heat source, about 60-70% humidity (if you're below that, use a sponge full of water on a plate) and a box. I have used an upturned lamp as a heat source, and I've used a hot water bottle. There's no need to be picky.
20180623_115326.jpg
20180623_115326.jpg
20180623_115326.jpg

I personally would put the less hatched one back under her. She's only a danger to the other one because the shell's compromised already. And having one egg hatch under her is going to make her more likely to accept the other one if you want to stick him back under her tonight.

He's hatched enough that I don't think you have to worry about shrink-wrapping from lack of humidity. Paint the exposed membrane with oil (vegetable oil works great) and put him near heat.

The paper towels are a bad idea. The water draws heat and can chill the chick. Use a soaked sponge on a plate and don't let the sponge touch them.

Good luck!

She hatched 5 on Monday and Tuesday so once it's dry and moving around I will put it back with her the problem with putting the partially cracked one back in is she is not staying on the nest because of the ones that hatched Monday and Tuesday

Back
Top Bottom