Hatching help

Barbellen

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2019
Hi I need some advice my husband purchased an incubator and placed 5 chicken eggs in he thought Sunday was day 21 and nothing happened so against all I had read he candles last night they looked full but no movement he placed them back in the incubator and said just leave them another day now one egg is moving and I’m worried they won’t live as he stopped turning them too early can anyone give advice what to do as I have no idea do I just leave them and if they do hatch what do I do next

It’s callec a had it’s meant to do everything turning and temp set at 38 then 37.5 for past few days the problem is he didn’t read research as he should,there are two eggs rocking ever so slightly but no pipping is this normal,I was convinced they were all dead yesterday as I say we haven’t done this before and my husband isn’t now working away 🤦‍♀️

It’s callec a had it’s meant to do everything turning and temp set at 38 then 37.5 for past few days the problem is he didn’t read research as he should,there are two eggs rocking ever so slightly but no pipping is this normal,I was convinced they were all dead yesterday as I say we haven’t done this before and my husband isn’t now working away 🤦‍♀️
Sorry it’s called a hdd,egg incubator

Never heard of that brand. Depending on when you set them may make a difference. Day 1 of incubation starts 24 hours after you set them in the incubator so they may be on time. Are they shipped eggs? Local eggs? If their rocking then i would leave them and see what happens.

No they are our own eggs silkies And hybrid I will leave them and see I just wasn’t sure how long it takes now and if moving/candling them would kill them thanks for your help

Hopefully they hatch for you, but before you try this again, please, please, verify that the temperature at the level the eggs are sitting at is correct, roughly 99.5 degrees F. Don't assume the temperature on the incubator is correct. I wish you luck. Also, humidity is important after day 18, it should be 70-75%, days 1-17, there is some debate but I would say less than 45% but not 0. Good luck and let us know how it turns out...

Always best to leave eggs alone in there a few days after expected hatch comes and nothing has happened...... some are just slow to develop due to incorrect (low) temperature setting. And it wouldn't kill anyone to just leave it in there for an extra 3 days or whatever, know what I mean?

Sorry it’s called a hdd,egg incubator
I bought and gave away that bator... gave me terrible hatches compared to my styrofoam ones. :hmm

You cannot trust the read outs.. and if you want to have successful hatches with that bator (or any)... best to get a thermometer/hygrometer that can be calibrated. In forced air bators... temp is measured anywhere. Measuring temp at top of the eggs is key in still air bators. Otherwise with a fan the air should be mostly one temperature via the convection. Since there can be warm or cool spots, I move my eggs to a new place int he bator daily to keep hatch frame tight.

Sounds like your temp might have been a bit low. You can technically quit turning on day 14 with no impact to the embryo.

Sounds like you may still have some hatch, just a little late... be patient and see what happens! Since this is your first hatch... there are lots of variables to get things dialed in.

:fl:jumpy:jumpy

Never heard of that brand. Depending on when you set them may make a difference. Day 1 of incubation starts 24 hours after you set them in the incubator so they may be on time. Are they shipped eggs? Local eggs? If their rocking then i would leave them and see what happens.
I bought and gave away that bator... gave me terrible hatches compared to my styrofoam ones. :hmm

You cannot trust the read outs.. and if you want to have successful hatches with that bator (or any)... best to get a thermometer/hygrometer that can be calibrated. In forced air bators... temp is measured anywhere. Measuring temp at top of the eggs is key in still air bators. Otherwise with a fan the air should be mostly one temperature via the convection. Since there can be warm or cool spots, I move my eggs to a new place int he bator daily to keep hatch frame tight.

Sounds like your temp might have been a bit low. You can technically quit turning on day 14 with no impact to the embryo.

Sounds like you may still have some hatch, just a little late... be patient and see what happens! Since this is your first hatch... there are lots of variables to get things dialed in.

:fl:jumpyThanks nothing happened since this morning so will just have to wait and see

Back
Top Bottom