Hatching & Imprinting Ducks

Be careful having the students touch the ducklings, they get sick very easily. I had a little stomach bug when mine was a duckling and she ended up with it too, puking and all. Even now she's about 7 months old and just caught a cold from me so she's got a stuffy nose.

cheezenkwackers , Thanks for the advice! As a fellow teacher, I have a few questions :) Did you keep the ducklings in the brooder in your class as well? I did this last year with chicks and it worked out fine, but we used newspaper to line the brooder. Unfortunately, a lot of things online say not use newspaper for ducks b/c it's slippery--however shavings seem like a huge mess/hard to clean in a classroom. Wondering what you did :)
I did keep mine in the classroom. I used shavings with rubber shelf liner on top for the first few days and then shavings. Ducklings are way messier than chicks (but cuter). They get water every where. I used smaller pans under the waterer and under the heat lamp filled with shavings to try to keep some dry space. After they were a few days old I would lay a large beach towel on the floor surrounded by boxes and let them spend the day running around in there. I also would add a small rubbermade shoebox filled with water as a pool with rocks for steps inside and out. Be cautious using school brown paper towels -they are a lot slicker than nice white Bounty. My students washed their hands before and after handling and we did not have any problems. I now have really tame ducks too.
1f986.png

Last edited:
I did keep mine in the classroom. I used shavings with rubber shelf liner on top for the first few days and then shavings. Ducklings are way messier than chicks (but cuter). They get water every where. I used smaller pans under the waterer and under the heat lamp filled with shavings to try to keep some dry space. After they were a few days old I would lay a large beach towel on the floor surrounded by boxes and let them spend the day running around in there. I also would add a small rubbermade shoebox filled with water as a pool with rocks for steps inside and out. Be cautious using school brown paper towels -they are a lot slicker than nice white Bounty. My students washed their hands before and after handling and we did not have any problems. I now have really tame ducks too.
1f986.png

Good news! We have 7 ducklings! Bad news: They are SO messy! They are about 5 days old, and they are making the classroom smell pretty bad! Everything gets soaking wet inside their brooder, which then makes everything smell. How many ducklings did you have in your class? Any advice would be appreciated!

Congrats! :D

I know what you mean about them being messy- I have 13 terrors in the brooder, and they will mess it up only a few hours after cleaning them out...

I'd recommend covering the top of a tray with small mesh, and sitting the water on top, which collects any splashed water into the tray, instead of into the bedding.
image.jpg

Also putting puppy pads underneath the bedding helps soak up any water.

Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom