hatching in a carton

Thanks for the replies.

I had eggs in my homemade bator which had been put in at three different times over a one week period. The first batch in that bator I hatched 15 out of 20 that developed to maturity. That time we turned eggs individually. This time I put the eggs in cartons with holes cut into the egg cups for more air circulation and tilted the cartons back and forth.

I built another bator to use as a hatcher and the first egg pipped this morning. I am concerned about this bator/hatcher because there is as much as 5 degrees difference in temp at egg level from one corner to another.

Day 21 started last night at 9:00pm. The last batch we hatched had one chick and 4 more pips by now. But I think these have averaged about 1/2 degree lower temp through the incubation period but with less fluctuation.

Quote:
I sure do hope so! Hubby is tired of me buying eggs and NEVER get any chicks. I had read a thread where someone asked about the LG and several people mentioned the genesis.... I sure hope so, if I can't figure this out, i"m going to stop hatching
hit.gif

I used the carton with my swap eggs and got 100% hatch rate. Not sure if that is the cause but I have never had good luck with shipped eggs. So I will surely try again. Hope it helps others too.

Marie

Quote:
I'm sure hoping the incubator arrives before your eggs Marie. I've never had great luck with shipped eggs but I haven't had really horrible luck either except this year. I have a couple doz. from eggbid that were clears or broken air sacs. I just got some from Jody and I'm praying for those. So far so good. I have eggs coming from you, some tolbunt polish and some mille fluer eggs from people here. I'm going to try the carton method with those. We'll see, lets hope Double R ships fast since I didn't have an option on shipping.

You are going to love the Genesis. I like mine so well I ran in and ordered another one the other night on the commercial break while watching Survivor. The one I have is full to the brim with 36 Marans eggs and 5 Call duck eggs. Karen

Zunibee had a post about hatching in an egg carton with great success. I believe mergmet tried it and was also very pleased. I am going to try it with the 42 eggs I have in the bator now but I'm a good 2 weeks away from hatch day.

PS. I LOVE my Genesis and just ordered another also. It's "blonde proof" something I definately need.

I just finished a hatch, first one with my own eggs, out of 15, 12 hatched. The only problem i had was some of the chicks had a hard time getting out of the bottom shell.

chickhamm
Theressa
GA

I have been really thinking about this. In the nest eggs can not rock near as much as they can on the wire in a hatcher. Dose the movement ofthe egg on the wire mack it harder for the egg to hatch? I am thinking hatching them in a egg carton may help them by the fact they do not have to work so hard to break out of the shell.

Ok, so I have been considering hatching my showgirl eggs in a carton, but one thing still concerns me. The chicks are fighting gravity. Doesn't that mean that the stronger ones will be able to get out, but that the weaker ones would not be able to get out? Though those great hatch rates seem to say otherwise...

I'm useing a carton this time and I have 13 of 18 hatched and one more piped egg. I think 16 eggs are good total of the 18, I had 2 eggs look different
on day 18 I put them in with a ? mark just to see if they do hatch.
I'll use the carton next time too.

Back
Top Bottom