1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching in egg carton?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kwack, Mar 19, 2009.

1. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    I have read of others hatching in an egg carton rather than lying on wire bator floor.... chook owners get kind of heated on the topic. Just wondering if any of you hatch ducks that way?

Trim the top of the carton down a bit?
    Cut holes in the bottom for heat/ventilation?
    Cardboard rather than foam?

Thanks for the info.[​IMG]

2. aray67156

aray67156 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    i asked the same question and everyone says that it is the way to go. but yes cut the tops off and a few holes for vents.

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I'll be doing my first hatch at the end of this month with Chicken eggs, and I plan to try the Egg carton Method, I hear it's an easier clean up, and it just seems like it would be easier for the chick, considering I'm using and auto turner, so they are already in this position. Also I cracked and egg, and had to bandage it with wax, so I think the egg carton would work better with that egg.

Good luck!

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have never tried this, but I have a hatch next week and I think I am going to try! It sounds like it will make things alot easier![​IMG]

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have never tried this, but I have a hatch next week and I think I am going to try! It sounds like it will make things alot easier![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by