Hatching in egg cartons?

Y master

Chirping
Feb 5, 2018
I have one dozen Silkie eggs and a dozen duck eggs in the incubator and they are rolling around EVERYWHERE. Can I keep them in the egg cartons inside the incubator for some of the incubation period? (obviously taking them out for hatching) can I keep them in there for even just two days?

Ideally, (chicken) eggs should be kept "fat end up" for the first 18 days of incubation and yes egg cartons (particularly plastic ones) are perfect for that purpose.

I've never hatched ducks, but I am not sure that they are suited to the same incubating regime that chicken eggs are. Maybe check in the learning centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

Good luck

Ideally, (chicken) eggs should be kept "fat end up" for the first 18 days of incubation and yes egg cartons (particularly plastic ones) are perfect for that purpose.
Well, I thin this is from the turners that hold the eggs up right....but many other incubators, including broody hens, do not keep eggs 'fat end up'.

I have one dozen Silkie eggs and a dozen duck eggs in the incubator and they are rolling around EVERYWHERE. Can I keep them in the egg cartons inside the incubator for some of the incubation period? (obviously taking them out for hatching) can I keep them in there for even just two days?
Why are they rolling around?...is your incubator not level?
Egg cartons can be used but much of the carton should be cut away so as not to inhibit air circulation.
What kind of incubator do you have?
Pics would help.

Back
Top Bottom