Hatching incubated eggs in cartons?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ren2014, Oct 20, 2015.

1. in egg cartons

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. lay the eggs on their side

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Candled day 7 today. Looks like all of the JO's are clear, a few LO's are clear and a lot are questionable to me. There goes the segregation experiment. I'm not going to count anything out until day 15. Definitely 6 LO's developing[​IMG]

2. TinkyPinky

TinkyPinky Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    Australia Perth
    Someone PLEASE help me!! I have 2 fertile eggs from a farm because the farm was going to throw them away, I think they are alive but it's day 4 or 5 now, when i got them I had no idea how old they are. Now I still have no idea how old Theo are, I have a 60 lumends torch so I torched them but somehow the eggs start to go black in the middle and the end, the vanes of the egg are not very red, I don't THINK I can see movement, but I if they were dead, they don't stink, so I don't know what to do! if someone can help me that would be excellent! By the way this is the first time iv ever incubated eggs. (my email is [email protected]) please can you help me! I will reply on Gmail because im new to this website!

3. TinkyPinky

Oct 23, 2015
    Australia Perth
    What does your post is being held for moderation mean?

4. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] check out this great thread on candling https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation It has great pictures and even videos. What type of incubator do you have?

5. TinkyPinky

Oct 23, 2015
    Australia Perth
    umm.I don't really have an incubator yet.but I am using a big red heat lamp. Iv got a Temperature checker, once the eggs went up to 41, and once to 28,so I HOPE they are alive! I am ordering a 6 or 10 egg incubator, it should arrive in 6 days.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  6. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    28 is too low and 41 is too high. With out a fan, temp needs to be 38 to 40 C. What are you doing about humidity and turning the eggs? Make sure you read all you can and even search to see if incubating can be done with a red heat lamp. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 Best of luck to you. Be sure to check out the incubating and hatching eggs forum.

7. TinkyPinky

Oct 23, 2015
    Australia Perth

28 is too low and 41 is too high.  With out a fan, temp needs to be 38 to 40 C.  What are you doing about humidity and turning the eggs?  Make sure you read all you can and even search to see if incubating can be done with a red heat lamp.  https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101  Best of luck to you.  Be sure to check out the incubating and hatching eggs forum.
    [/quote

8. TinkyPinky

Oct 23, 2015
    Australia Perth
    I have just started yesterday to turn them. Sadly my chick In the white egg died. He had black feathers on. He must have been 15 or 16 days old. I only have 1 silkie egg left. Im counting on this egg.

9. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    O no, so sorry to hear he didn't make it[​IMG]

[​IMG] for the silkie.

10. TinkyPinky

Oct 23, 2015
    Australia Perth
    Thank you!! I did a float test yesterday and the silkie egg was wriggly wiggly. [​IMG] I hope he does the same thing today.

11. wyndotte lover

wyndotte lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Mississippi
    Hey this is my first time incubating eggs and I got them from my sister they are rir rooster over white leghorn hen will they be sexlinks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by